Did I kill my cat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Would was stacked and split early october 2011, not in the most ideal spot, I would say sun 50-60% of the day. Ive only been burning for three years fulltime now. i get a little further ahead every year on wood supply and I am years ahead in cut wood, but not years ahead on split stacked wood

Badbird, please remember that sun is nice but wind is even more important than sun. Many times we've stacked in full or partial shade and so long as it is in the wind it dried nicely.

Getting that 3 years ahead is some hard work for sure but you'll never be sorry. Also, once you are there, you only have to cut enough for a year at a time. That 3 years cushion is better than money in the bank.

If the new steel cat is identical to the old one and not layered like the PH, IMO they will have the same issues because the flow will be concentrated to the center where the larger cells are located. I'm sticking with the ceramic cat, burns hotter for longer.
I called today to confirm. The new Fireview cat is not layered like the PH cat. I'll call back tomorrow and try to get a good explanation, but without one, I find your reasoning convincing, Todd. I have observed that the steel cat does not glow as much in the corners near the diagonal axes where the cells have been pinched to make this cat, which appears to be of wound/round construction, conform to a rectangular shape.

One thing I learned today is that the Keystone's cat has a slightly different shape from the Fireview's, and at this point, there is only 1 version of the steel cat for the Keystone. . .what I said about new cats in September does not apply to the Keystone.

Status
Not open for further replies.