Did I or didn't I overfire the Osburn? Now what?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Xanabri

Jan 18, 2010
Iowa, USA
Long time lurker on this site. I've followed advice over the years, except for this weekend. We installed an Osburn 2400 (large) freestanding stove last year and it has performed very well. I've been religious about loading and tracking the fire in this beast (only one fire briefly got away last year). However, this past weekend we had it running and it got away from us again for about 15-20 minutes. My wife and I were outside and our carpenter was in the room with the stove. I had started it in the morning and loaded it up for a multi-hour burn. When we walked back in there was acrid smoke in the room with the stove. I immediately closed down the damper (which he had opened thinking it needed more air to vent the smoke). We checked the temp) with an IR gauge) on the stove top and it was 960. The smell was identical to the smoke smell when we seasoned the stove last year, so this is likely the hottest it's been. The temp dropped quickly after shutting everything down. He apologized and we agreed to let me manage the stove. We checked for a chimney fire and that was fine. Yesterday, when I fired the stove up again from a cold start it took a bit more work than usual but operated just fine. I've looked at the door, interior baffles, and top. Everything seems fine, except there is a very tiny, only perceptible with fingertips, bump on the top (which may have always been there) where the temperature peaked. Otherwise the stove seems fine. We’ll do the dollar bill test next weekend when it is stone cold. The installer will be coming out and I've asked him to take a look, but is there anything else to do? (I should have told the carpenter not to mess with the stove. He does good work and was trying to help. It was my bad.)

Your probably fine as long as the overfire was for a short period. The smell was the paint curing again at a very high temp. Check inside the fire box welds for any cracking or welds popping apart and any kind of warping.

The main exposure from the higher temps for a steel stove is warping. Just lay a straight edge across the top and across the sides to see if there is any warping. It should be fine. Over-firing shortens the life of steel stoves but seldom wrecks them in a single occurrence.

Checked the stove again today. No warps on top or sides. I need to be more careful. Thanks for all the inputs and quick replies. - Xanabri

Status
Not open for further replies.