did i over fire my stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

par0thead151

Feeling the Heat
Jul 26, 2009
south eastern wisconsin
tonight my wife loaded the stove before we had company over.
the air was on high, and the blower not on.
when i looked at it 45 minutes after she loaded it, there was a nice glow to the area around the liner/pipe.
i assume i slightly over fired the stove?
is there anything i should do to make sure it did not damage anything or just make sure to never let this happen again?
the thermometer on the door did not read over fire, but there was a distinct glow to the area by the pipe. about 6" around the pipe.
the stove in question is a insert in a ZC fireplace.
enviro venice 1700

You've answered your own question. Don't do that. If necessary set a timer to remind you to check the stove. (I have to do that sometimes when things are hectic.)

I do hope you learned a big lesson! That can certainly be scary and you are lucky. Do not try to be lucky twice.

Your stove is likely okay as most of the heat went up the chimney. This, of course, begs the question, is the chimney okay? One thing you can ask yourself is how much wood was in the stove? Was this starting from a cold stove? My guess is more than likely you are okay.

Setting a timer with a loud alarm is not a bad habit to create. Forgetting the stove is not something to take lightly.

Status
Not open for further replies.