Did my mid season cleaning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rudysmallfry

Minister of Fire
Nov 29, 2005
Milford, CT
Like the title says, I used nice balmy 45 degree day to do my mid season cleanout. I was happy to see barely 1 cup of buildup between both my stovepipe and chimney. I've had a few fires that I just couldn't get going this year and thought there would be more. One thing I saw different than years past, just the edge of the single wall pipe going into the thimble has some of that nasty shiny stuff. We're talking just enough to notice. Any reason why it would build up just there? I'm guessing it's because that's where the warm fuzzy indoors meets the extremely cold outdoors, but any insight would be appreciated. Should I replace that piece to be safe? I doubt that part of my stove pipe would ever get near the 500 degrees needed to ignite it. I usually burn between 350 to 400.

Did my mid-season today too. Sixty degrees. Eighteen above normal temp for the day.

The shiny spot is one thing, a draft leak. Cooler air is coming in at the joint and condensing the stuff at that point. I fight those with a vengeance.

How do I fix that? Are we just talking a little high temp silicone?

rudysmallfry said:
How do I fix that? Are we just talking a little high temp silicone?

A dab of furnace cement. Silicone will just burn off.

ratherbfishin said:
Sixty degrees out side... good lord break out the air conditioner!

Wood burners hell. Sixty outside today but downstairs never got over sixty two. And now tonight is going into the twenties. Long after bedtime but long before sun-up.

This house has no thermostat to set. Well it does, but the thing at the other end of the wire died in 1998.

I did my mid winter cleaning last Friday too. I broke it all down and did a thorough cleaning, had a little buildup in the chimney cap ( that was the first time for that ) very little in the chimney. Altogether I figure maybe lass than a small coffee can full of soot.

Status
Not open for further replies.