Did not use the furnace this year!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
par0thead151 said:
might want to turn it on once a month for a few minutes to make sure it still works...

Why? It's off for 6 months at a time during spring and summer and it kicks on just fine come winter.

I have one of the newer high efficiency heat pumps and when the weather gets into the mid-50's it cost so little to run I find myself wondering if it isn't cheaper than gas and chain sharpening for the saw. And then I go so tired of having to start a fresh fire every night just to burn a few hours, so last fall I ran the furnace for about a month before going to 24/7 burning. I don't think it was on even quite a week this spring; I've turned it off again as it is staying 70 deg in the house.

Same here, we haven't used the furnace at all since we installed the woodstove last January.(09) I really enjoy the fact that for a couple hundred bucks for gas in the truck and supplies for the saw we heat all year long. We keep the house a lot warmer than when we used the furnace too!

BrowningBAR said:
par0thead151 said:
might want to turn it on once a month for a few minutes to make sure it still works...

Why? It's off for 6 months at a time during spring and summer and it kicks on just fine come winter.

Why not? It takes very little electric or fuel for a few minutes worth. Heck, we do that with all motors.

BrowningBAR said:
par0thead151 said:

Keeps condensation down, especially if the furnace is in a cold basement. Burn out cobwebs in gas manifolds. Generally it's a good practice.

5 yrs heating with wood only. When I had the hearth stone installed it really was going to be a supplemental heat source, wood heat is additive! I do keep the T-stat for my LP guzzler turned on, and I do run it like once a month just to keep it working.

PapaDave said:
Welcome to the club. There are several of us here that do that.

Yes, but look how he does it:

Chevy HHR with 4x6 Trailer
Electric Splitter
Electric Chainsaw

He gets an Adda Boy! for his effort

Lets see bought the house in 1978 . Yep been on wood only since so thats what like 32 years. I do test fire the LP boiler now and again just to make sure it would go if need be . Last time I bought LP was 2003 . I would guess it must be over a dollar a gallon now.

Yep, I made it 100% wood this season too. Gas furnace stayed off (maybe because it needs a new thermocouple). I got the new part setting on top of furnace, just never installed it (takes all the temptation away of turning it on). But had a close call. Bearing in blower motor on wood stove went on the blink one day in January. Temporarily hooked my garage wood stove motor to it, then my son brought a larger motor from work and we used that until I got my original one fixed. So it helps to have a backup motor on hand (especially if your backup gas furnace is broken).

This past season my cost of wood was about $400-$425. I pick it up at a sawmill, a face cord at a time, already cut in 20" lengths with a lot of blocks in stack, which I split in two. I'm sure gas would've costed more, and I look on burning wood as sort of a hobby.

PapaDave said:
myzamboni said:
PapaDave said:

Electric Splitter
Electric Chainsaw

Absolutely!! Adda Boy!

Thanks Guys!

myzamboni said:
PapaDave said:

Electric Splitter
Electric Chainsaw

Indeed. And prior to that he was hauling in a Geo Metro?! He has to be one of our best scroungers dedicated to the cause.

BeGreen said:
myzamboni said:
PapaDave said:

Electric Splitter
Electric Chainsaw

Indeed. And prior to that he was hauling in a Geo Metro?! He has to be one of our best scroungers dedicated to the cause.

Thanks BeGreen
Chevy Aveo( Very Similar)
I have never purchased wood. Ever..

Status
Not open for further replies.