Did PE make a design change recently?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NextEndeavor

Burning Hunk
Jan 16, 2011
Southern Iowa
I too am considering a second stove, free standing in the basement that is soon to be insulated. I've been looking and reading a lot about free standers. Did I read or hear somewhere that PE made a minor design change? Don't remember what though, maybe the baffle or possibly the door gasketing? They promote a "floating" fire box. Not sure how that works but sounds good. As prices drop a little in the next couple of months, want to make sure to get the latest revision. Like many others, just checking out all the choices out there. Might post more questions later but still catching up on other posts covering the areas I'm needing answers too. Thanks. Oh, looking at the Super 27 size or Alderlea T5.

The big design change I know about was with the 3 cu ft models. The EBT was moved from the boost manifold to the secondary supply and became more of a barometric regulator on the secondary.

The other design change happened about 6 months ago and was how the ash system is created. They tried to make it cheaper and ended up with one that doesn't seal as nice. It's currently being revised agian and the newest style ash system should be going through the system by mid summer. The current ash dump is now just a flat plate and if it takes to much heat will warp and leak. You have make sure that you use lots of ash to cover in that hole.

You have make sure that you use lots of ash to cover in that hole.

I always do, even with the old style ash dump. Wish they would just make the ashpan an optional accessory and lower the price on their stoves. The ash hole is a lame design IMO. Tried it a couple times and that was it. Haven't used it in years now.

Reactions: Seanm
On a showroom floor, I also thought the ash slot was a bit small. Shoveling isn't a problem for me anyway, just don't get in a rush and you won't have dust when scooping.

Status
Not open for further replies.