Did some pricing today.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DuckDog

Burning Hunk
Sep 3, 2010
Eastern Ontario
I will be starting a full renovation of our living room in the next week or so and have decided that the current wood stove that was here when we moved in 3 years ago will not be coming back in the house. Looks like it is a box store special. Steel is all faded and it is a hog on wood.

I did some driving today and visited 2 spots. The first place was awesome and the staff knew their stuff. The second place was terrible. I felt like I was inconveniencing them. No problem. I will not be back.

Anyway, I was given pricing on 4 models as listed below

Regency F2400: "airmate, black door, ped base, ash dr, ***free 2 speed blower***"
$1710+tx

Pac Energy Super 27: "black door, ped base, ash dr"
$1671.05+tx

Pac Energy Spectrum Classic: "black door + legs + trivit"
$1970.30+tx

Pac Energy Alderlea T5: "cast"
$2321.80+tx

I guess I've got some research to do now.
Suggestions welcome.

Thanks,
Drew.

I cannot speak on the Regency but the Super 27 and Spectrum are very nice stove and I know a few people that own them. Everyone raves about the Super 27 and Spectrum. They actually have the exact same fire box so take that into consideration. I have no experience with the Alderlea but I just love the look and feel of that stove. Looks like you wont go wrong with any of those choices. Good luck.

I just bought a Super 27 two weeks ago. The ash dump is an add on cost and IMHO not worth the extra money. The only reason I got one on my stove is that PE was giving it away in August. I think it cost over $100.

I've only had one small break in fire so I can't say much about the performance of the stove but the build quality is great. The only problem I've had was some paint that rubbed off the pedestal that the dealer is going to come fix.

The T5 is very nice stove and also has the same firebox as the 27 so if you want to have something really nice to look at in your new living room it may be worth the extra money. Especialy in the off months when you aren't burning and won't have the fire to draw your attention.

Here are some pics of my first fire

555e0954.jpg

2eff21eb.jpg

Unless you dont like the look of a steptop, I would go with the S2400 regency if your gonna use the blower. Makes a huge difference.

My hampton is the same firebox as the regency (hampton is the high end regency) and I heat a 1400 sq ft ranch with a basement exposure in WI with no problem. I have heated all the way down to 25 below.

No personal experience with either the Regency or PE line . . . but a few friends have Regencys and love 'em . . . and folks here often rave about the PEs. I don't think you can go wrong with either line . . . as long as you size the stove to your home and own needs.

Why not the Reg F3100 - bigger is better ;)

As others have noted, you won't go wrong with any of those choices. The T5 will be a bit slower to heat up, but will also slowly return that warmth as the fire dies down. How large a space are you trying to heat?

Thanks for all the replies. Every bit helps.

We are heating a 1300+/-sq' bungalow (slab on grade. crawlspace only no basement). It is mostly open concept. Our current stove satisfies 90% of our heating needs and covers the living room, dining room, kitchen, foyer, office and most of the time the bathroom. We leave the baseboards on in the bedrooms and bathroom but only at 60-62*F. It needs to be really cold out for them to actually come on.

I had my wife look at the brochures to see what she liked. I was suprised that she did not pick the T5 as she usually finds a way to pick the one worth the most $$$. But she was close. She likes the Spectrum Classic but only if it has the nickle door and legs ($$$). So essentially, she's based her decision solely on "shiny and smooth" She's as bad as me in BPS the week before bass opener.

Around my area the most common seems to be the F2400 and the Super27. The sales rep I talked to said that they are essentially equal in every way with each company providing great service. I think I'll show my wife a picture of the Super27 on a ped base with a nickle door. Maybe that will do it for her.

Thanks again,
Drew

Albertj03: That sure is a mighty small fire for such a big box!! (I said that to a lady friend once, and got slapped!)

Duckdog: It really boils down to:

A) What is your primary purpose for the stove? Cosmetic burns to please the eye? Heat for the home 24/7?
B) What kind of space do you have, and how BIG a stove do you really need?
C) What are your personal "must haves" associated with the stove you choose?

I'd include the Lopi and Avalon line of products in your search...........both are fine stoves from a well known and trusted manufacturer (Travis Industries of Oregon), and have great reputations.

Of all the ones you listed above, the one with the most character (imho) is the "Pac Energy Alderlea T5." I noted that I don't see any soapstone models, and I think you are doing yourself a disservice if you are not including one of THOSE in your list of possibilities.

Considering the "longevity" of having and using a stove, ask yourself, "do I really think I'm gonna burn wood for any length of time, or am I an old hand at this, and intend to burn wood from now on." If your answer is that you are planning on burning wood for a long time, I personally would double your price range, and get as much bang as possible now. The stove you choose now, will presumably be a stove that will remain in your home for some time to come, and it will have to have integrity, great looks, and plenty of good heat.

Remember, wood will burn in ANYTHING; but useful heating comes from a GREAT stove!! (hmmmmmmmm .....I like that........think I'll use it!! lol)

-Soupy1957

[quote author="soupy1957" Albertj03: That sure is a mighty small fire for such a big box!! (I said that to a lady friend once, and got slapped!)

LOL - that was my first break in fire.

Show her these Soapstone models.............they are "supposed" to be very useful at storing heat in the Soapstone, to continue to radiate into the room, even after the fire has gone out, unlike Cast Iron or Steel, which gets cold fairly quickly when the fires out. Not only that, but they have "character."

http://www.woodstove.com/index.php/wood-stoves

-Soupy1957

Buy the PE, better s/s baffle system. I think the Regency has a cheesey 2 part ceramic board.

Status
Not open for further replies.