did some stove swapping today. problems!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tobaccogrower

Jan 9, 2010
Suffield Ct
did some stove swapping today. removed my wood furace ad installed a tucker allagash that i converted from a inseart to free standing.

please take a look at my pic's and advise. i started the fire small with some pine banrboard i usally use. drafted really good. temps outside in the low 30's and a wicked wind. soon as i added some small splits the temp climed quickly on the pipe(8inch single wall). i also had a lot of crackling in the pipe. i think i could max the guage set 18 inches up if i left the draft open. i banged it out good before reinstalling. this stove has a slide that blocks off the chimney. open when filling, close when shut. when i open the door i can see flames wicking up the pipe in a old screw hole. is this normal? also, this pipe is a season old. it changed color today with the first 10 minutes if the new stove. was shiny silver. turned a dull white.

we burn wood full time in our house. have been running a dutchwest large neverburn for 2 seasons. this new setup in the shop scares me. i never saw those temps that high that fast with the wood furnace.. maybe it's because they go straight up. anyway, please look at my setup and advise. it's running good now making great heat but im not going to add to it till i get some feedback. its in my shop btw. thanks in advance!

Attachments

• stove 1.jpg
    stove 1.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 461
  • stobe 2.jpg
    stobe 2.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 439
  • stove 3.jpg
    stove 3.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 414
  • st4.jpg
    st4.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 415
  • st5.jpg
    st5.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 409
Is that picture looking into the pipe before install? i.e. did you clean out all that creosote before burning the stove? If not I'm betting your new stove there lit that off and you had a chimney fire going there.

so that pipe isnt stove pipe? my local hardware store sells it as wood stove pipe. i'll swap it out for stove pipe asap! the cresolte was all cleaned out. it was still shiny black inside. i think i should also put in a pipe damper. good idea?

I would also be curious as to the distance between the pipe and your framing. It looks too close from the pics.

[quote author="jotulguy" date="1291690853"]I would also be curious as to the distance between the pipe and your framing. It looks too close from the pics.[/q

x2 on that, check the clearances you have on both the stove and the pipe.

Get the right pipe for your stove.

And if I were to guess, you probably lit off the creosote in that galvanized pipe and she burned real hot for ya.

tobaccogrower said:
.........the cresolte was all cleaned out. it was still shiny black inside.

That 'shiny black' is still creosote - the bad kind!

Shari

The whole thing looks Rube Goldberg. I like the wiring job also

If I were in your shoes I'd get a pro to look your setup over. I think you might have a couple of things going on. Stovepipe material + stovepipe itself looks way to close to combustibles. I'd sleep better with a professional opinion on this one.

make it safe and you'll feel so much better.

tobaccogrower said:
so that pipe isnt stove pipe? my local hardware store sells it as wood stove pipe. i'll swap it out for stove pipe asap! the cresolte was all cleaned out. it was still shiny black inside. i think i should also put in a pipe damper. good idea?

That is indeed stove pipe.....but the wrong kind. Using galvanized can and will give off fumes that your body will not like at all. Use the black pipe indoors.

Its the spray foam that scares me! That stuff lights up faster than a match!

Edit: Hope you have a radiation sheild going through that foam at the ceiling. Stove is too close to combustibles.

Galvinized pipe = fail

Shari said:
tobaccogrower said:
.........the cresolte was all cleaned out. it was still shiny black inside.

That 'shiny black' is still creosote - the bad kind!

Shari

Well, I suspect it is clean now.

I don't think that setting the stove on concrete blocks on end is in the best interest of the family and property.

tobaccogrower said:

Hi TC,

Welcome, and I hope we're not overwhelming you with criticism. I give you credit for wanting to be safe and taking your lumps. Good man/woman.

I'll echo the question about clearances and correct fittings.

Stovepipe: If you get the correct, non-galvanized single-wall pipe, the pipe needs to be a minimum of 18" from the walls.

Stove: And you should check whether your stove has UL listed clearances--if it does, please make sure you're meeting them, and if not you need to meet the clearances for an unlisted stove.

Chimney: It looks like you go to chimney pipe below the ceiling. If so, please make sure you meet the correct clearances and fittings for your floor penetration.

I'd hate for that nice spray insulation to burst into flames in the middle of the night. I know you'll sleep better knowing you're safe.

Welcome, HTH, and good luck!

Many things to be concerned about here, one other thing.... It is probably not a good idea to have "old screw holes" that you can see through. Now if you replace the pipe, which you really need to do, screw hole issue solved, but for further reference....

thanks guys for all the input!

i'm heading to my local stove dealer first shot this morning. i'm going to get to 45* to bring it farther out awau from the wall. although i'm just about 18 inches now. pics look closer. there are no listings on this stove. it's a foster allagash buily in tucker rhode island. it came out of a fireplace. it has a 2 inch air jacket all around the firebox. with the blower on it really moves some hot air.

i also didnt like the cinderblocks. todays facelift will include putting them on there sides. what is acceptable cresolte? the stuff was baked on. if there was a fire in there it should be clean when i remove it?

thanks for all comments. please keep them coming.

No amount of shiney black creosote is good, none. You will certainly get some dull black ash like stuff but as soon as it is shiney, it is dangerous. You are going to have to spend a bunch of $$$ to get that up to an acceptabe safety level. Since you modified a stove, you will never truly be to code. You can however be much safer with your set up. The second pic shows some staining right around that first bend in the single wall pipe, that is not melted/singed foam is it? Be safe and good luck. It is great having a stove in the work shop, I just installed one that is also not to code since I modified it myself, still it is as safe as I could possible make it. Again, good luck and keep the pics coming.

The last few times I got black stove pipe it was painted. And after I put the new stove pipe on it smoked so bad I thought it was going to catch on fire and really stinked up the house. So when put a new stove pipe in at the farm I set it up outside and burnt it to take the paint off first and have had no problems with that one.

Billy

Status
Not open for further replies.