Did the dirty deed on my Lopi Leyden

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

muss

Feeling the Heat
Feb 26, 2008
Embden, Maine
tds
Went in thru the front doors & took all the side,top,& back firebricks,plates,etc off Then went in there with my 2gallon shop vac. Man o' man, there was some serious ash behind everything . Also cleaned the outside flue AGAIN :shut: There was a ton of soot in there. Couldn't & wouldn't do the impeller exhaust blades cause of the gasket. Me thinks it's gonna be a long winter with those Athens pellets Muss

You mentioned the outside flue. I have the outside T for the vent. Do I need to check that through out the winter, its new and I thought I could just leave that for the spring claning after the season. Also if I remove the cleanout do I need to add RTV to it when I put it back on? The rest of the stove cleaning is no problem.

JRB said:
You mentioned the outside flue. I have the outside T for the vent. Do I need to check that through out the winter, its new and I thought I could just leave that for the spring claning after the season. Also if I remove the cleanout do I need to add RTV to it when I put it back on? The rest of the stove cleaning is no problem.

Normally, you should only have to clean the outside flue at the end of season.

Poor Muss got some pellets this season that his stove hates, and they are making
a huge mess for him in a short time. RTV should not be needed for the T.

muss said:
Went in thru the front doors....... Man o' man, there was some serious ash behind everything.....

Actually Muss, I prefer to get my ash going in through the back door :cheese:

Status
Not open for further replies.