1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Did the Leaf Blower Trick already

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by heat seeker, Nov 23, 2012.

1. heat seeker

heat seeker Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern CT
    My stove's flame was starting to look a little lazy, so I did the normal cleaning inside the stove. All was good, nothing unusual, it cleaned up easily. I then went outside and ran my 4" brush through the direct vent (with the combustion fan running, stove cold). I was amazed at the amount of ash that came out. I have never gotten this much before. I then fired up the leaf blower, and was again amazed at the amount of ash that came out. My stove was very clean, but I can't get at the passage behind the ash pan without removing the combustion blower; I'm assuming that's where all the ash came from.
    The stove is now burning like it should.
    My point: While the MWP are much better than last year, as far as heat and odor go (they still have an odd smell, though) the ash is much worse. I usually do the LBT after each ton - I've burned only ½ ton this year, with more ash accumulation, so I'll be out there twice as often.
    Well, at least it's pretty easy to do on my setup. And, the house is nice and warm!

I've read somewhere that a clean stove is a happy stove….;lol

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Always love hearing of good results after some basic (and not-so-basic) care. As a first-season pellet stove user, I'm looking forward to doing the LBT!
  3. bbfarm

bbfarm Minister of Fire

Loc:
    wisconsin
    I am afraid to see how much ash will come out when we vent clean next weekend. our new pellets are horrible. only a few more bags to go.

normally with a weeks burn the ash bin is only about 1/4 full.

with the new pellets it is overflowing in a week.
  4. smoke show

smoke show Guest

wood fibers suck!
  5. pourlepayssauvage

pourlepayssauvage New Member

Loc:
    Eastern Maine
    Same thing here - I'm a first year pellet burner but just had to do the LBT after only about half a ton of pellets - flame low/lazy and burn pot too full...back to running like a champ now..kind of happy to know it's happening to others too. My corinth pellets must really suck - I've been switching over to MWP and thinking wow there's hardly any ash...interesting to know that last year was less. The corinths produce all kinds of ash. What is that smell that MWP have...I haven't noticed it with any other pellet.
  6. Northwoodneil

Northwoodneil Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Land of Cheese

Which breed are you burning now ? I'm sure it's not Jeds.
  7. smoke show

smoke show Guest

8. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

X3 on the Wood Fibers.. Clinkers after 1 bag/day.... :(

Longer pellet than i like too.. :(
  9. heat seeker

heat seeker Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern CT
    I'm told it's from the softwoods in them. Last year's MWP really stunk up the entire garage, and had a chemical smell that really reached out and grabbed you. This year's "fragrance", while still pretty strong, is easier to take and smells more like wood to me. Short pellets and very few fines are a plus this year, too.
    pourlepayssauvage likes this.