Did the Virginia Crew Fire it Up?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandor

Minister of Fire
Dec 9, 2005
Deltaville,VA
OK, BB and DavidV, did ya light the fire tonite?

Its getting cold here and just fired it up for the first time. Feels good. The dirty Martini's are good as well!

Yep. Burning here. Fired old brownie up tonight. I ran the F3 in the basement office last night.

Fired the stove up at about 10:15 last night when we got home from the football game. GO WARRIORS!!. Matoaca is still undefeated.
The draft is disturbingly good. I've never had to damper this stove down before. It may force me to do some other mainenance.

yep, fired up the old Sierra in the basement Fri about 4pm.
burning a bunch of old scrap limbage, etc.
Not as cold this morn (Sat) as yesterday.

Warrenton, VA

Hey there Katoom. I went to high school in Culpeper. Those little towns aren't so little anymore.

Hey Sandor. You guys get a lot of downed trees from that storm that blew thru last week? I took the day off Thursday to cut wood. Got me another cord of the stuff for the kiddies to stack.

DavidV said:
Hey Sandor. You guys get a lot of downed trees from that storm that blew thru last week? I took the day off Thursday to cut wood. Got me another cord of the stuff for the kiddies to stack.

Not a whole lot of downed trees. Tropical Storm Ernesto last month was much worse than the weather people pridicted. That storm knocked down all kinds of trees. Scrounged a couple truckloads of white oak, and may get some more.

I like it when were getting wood for the next burning season.

.... and it sounds like your new liner is working great.

Yeah. The wood I'm getting probly wont be burned till 2008. I will end up giving some of it away. Father in law probly probly needs some for his fireplace. I'll have to remember to ask. Make sure I give him some beech.

Yeah the liner is working. Just went outside and looked at it. STEAM! a beautiful thing. Still have to do something with a block off plate. I suspect I'm losing heat up the chimney even though it has some insulation stuffed in it.

Last night was my second burn. I had my season's first burn last week - couldn't wait.

wahoowad said:
Last night was my second burn. I had my season's first burn last week - couldn't wait.

Where in Va are ya?

whats a dirty martini? i hope they are better than the rocket fuel tasting ones i've had before.

oooo-oooo can I play? Not in VA but close. Fired up last night for the low of 37.
Used my newfound knowledge of my stove to get my first overnight burn. Eight hours and plenty of coals to restart this morning.

Snapped this pic shortly after the reload...

Attachments

• FIRE.JPG
    FIRE.JPG
    23.8 KB · Views: 392
DavidV said:
Fired the stove up at about 10:15 last night when we got home from the football game. GO WARRIORS!!. Matoaca is still undefeated.
The draft is disturbingly good. I've never had to damper this stove down before. It may force me to do some other mainenance.

Yeah, keep an eye on it David. After I took the pic and bragged, an hour later I loaded it with dry hardwood. Within minutes I had a runaway stove on my hands. Freakin draft got way out of hand.

Sandor,

I'm outside Charlottesville. Stove is cranking - just had to crack a window.

Attachments

• reburn.jpg
    reburn.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 342
Jabush, is that a "cigar burner" you have there? I havn't seen one of those things since I was a teenager.

Wahoowad, I'm hoping to spend a lot more time Charlottesville. Me and about 6000 other parents.

bruce56bb said:
whats a dirty martini? i hope they are better than the rocket fuel tasting ones i've had before.

A Dirty Martini is made by pouring a bit of Olive Juice in to clear Vodka; gives it a cloudy or dirty appearance.

Got these large olives that are stuffed with Jalapenos, and man, they make a great drink!

Had two more last night by the fire, and was asleep before 9. Booz + Heat = Sleep

katooom said:

Warrenton, VA

I just joined the Forum. Was reading through the threads. Says you have a Sierra. I'm a newb, I have a Sierra fireplace I'm trying to sort out. Is yours a stove or insert?

We live in Culpeper, fired for the first time last night.

DavidV said:
Jabush, is that a "cigar burner" you have there? I havn't seen one of those things since I was a teenager.

I guess you could call it that. The stove is deeper than it is wide, and it surely does burn front to back.

blthomas said:
katooom said:

Warrenton, VA

I just joined the Forum. Was reading through the threads. Says you have a Sierra. I'm a newb, I have a Sierra fireplace I'm trying to sort out. Is yours a stove or insert?

Yo! Sierra guys. How about some pics of the ole cookers?

I am over around Nokesville.

Sandor said:
bruce56bb said:
asleep before 9. Booz + Heat = Sleep

Hehehe - yup, try some plastic bottle scotch on half melted rocks, staring into the kennebec during secondary combustion - yikes, hypnotic!

BrotherBart said:
blthomas said:
katooom said:

Warrenton, VA

Yo! Sierra guys. How about some pics of the ole cookers?

I am over around Nokesville.

I'd be happy to post. I'll get some pics up tonight if I can get a good one rolling. I have no seasoned wood, burning some stuff from just before summer. And it's damp.

Mine is a fireplace......

Status
Not open for further replies.