Did they have a blind man sharpen this chain?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
When I got my chisel chains I took my safety chain in and had the saw dealer sharpen it. I figured they would touch it up and make sure all the rakers were down to a correct height... I figured they had more experience than I do at filing so the chain would benefit from it. 4-5 cords had passed over the chain and it was still in great shape.

I picked it up today and was shocked and horrified. The rakers look great. The teeth are a different story. I have wire edges coming off the teeth that are literally 1/8" long. Every tooth is black for half it's length. WTF! I know I did not give them a chain that needed to be taken back in that fashion. It cost $11 to give them the honor of doing this. I'll pay the extra $2 and get new chains in the future and take my own rakers down on the old.

*sigh*

Matt

EatenByLimestone said:
When I got my chisel chains I took my safety chain in and had the saw dealer sharpen it. I figured they would touch it up and make sure all the rakers were down to a correct height... I figured they had more experience than I do at filing so the chain would benefit from it. 4-5 cords had passed over the chain and it was still in great shape.

I picked it up today and was shocked and horrified. The rakers look great. The teeth are a different story. I have wire edges coming off the teeth that are literally 1/8" long. Every tooth is black for half it's length. WTF! I know I did not give them a chain that needed to be taken back in that fashion. It cost $11 to give them the honor of doing this. I'll pay the extra $2 and get new chains in the future and take my own rakers down on the old.

*sigh*

Matt

I understand your frustration, but don't finger a blind man. Some of the best drill bit sharpeners around are blind.

Oh, and sorry about your chain. At least it is a relatively inexpensive lesson learned.

Just be grateful it wasn't your new semi chisel that got butchered.

Yeah, it was no real loss. I still have a NIB safety they gave me when I bought the saw. It kinda just bites when a trusted dealer gives that kind of stuff back and tells me it's supposed to look like that. Well, they lost a family's business.

Sorry about the blind man comment. I wasn't implying anything against blind people.

Matt

EatenByLimestone said:
Yeah, it was no real loss. I still have a NIB safety they gave me when I bought the saw. It kinda just bites when a trusted dealer gives that kind of stuff back and tells me it's supposed to look like that. Well, they lost a family's business.

Sorry about the blind man comment. I wasn't implying anything against blind people.

Matt

Was it the owner or equivalent that gave you the chain like that? If not, I'd ask to speak to the top boss and let him know you aren't happy... I'd suspect that chain sharpening is one of those jobs that goes to the "new hire" employee, who may need more training. Telling the top boss lets him know, and also gives him a chance to "make it good" to whatever extent he can. Sounded like this is a shop that you liked, only seems fair to me to let them know that they have a problem...

Gooserider

Yep you can sure justify good equiment quick when doing firewood

Status
Not open for further replies.