Did using the fan on your insert, increase your electricity bill very much? Also concerned about fa

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wondering about the fan use and how much it really hikes up the electricity bill. Also, everytime I put the fan on, the temp drops so much on the stove so I turn it off, worrying about the creosote building up in the liner.

The fan draws very little electricity. I'm sure others will chime in here with some specific numbers.

As to the temp cooling off when you have the fan running, you don't have a big enough fire going. When the fire is cruising and you're getting the secondary flame, the fan will not be pulling down your stove temp. You might try running the fan at a lower speed.

Also keep in mind, it is the metal of the stove that is cooling down not the fire itself. If you have a clean smokeless fire going, no matter what the stove temp is, you should be getting minimal creosote.

What temps are you seeing with the fan off and with the fan on? Where are you measuring the temperature?

Where are you putting your thermometer?

due to the design of the Hampton, the top ledge of the stove is not the actual firebox. If that is where you are measuring than it makes sense that the temps drop. There is no reliable place to put a thermometer on these stoves..therefore I dont use one. Just burn it hot and you'll be fine.

We only used ours a couple times last year when it got real cold...otherwise the ceiling fan does the job. You're pretty handy woodsie...I think you'd be happier with a ceiling fan...a big one.

I beleave the fan runs less than 100 watts!You shouldnt really notice much or any differance in your monthly electric bill.

For the heat difference run the fan. Its probably less than a 60 watt light bulb. You bought it to heat, let it do its job! If you live in a cold climate you will be thankfull you have the fan when it gets ccccccoooooolllllllddddd! :)

I have one of those round thermometers and I put it right inside the door. I opened the door, put it in the box right where the heat comes out. I can look into that slot where the heat comes out and see it. There is enough clearence for the door to close, but I can see the thermometer. It gets up to 700 degrees but when the fan comes on, it drops to 300 - 400 degrees. I wish I had a better idea of when I am over firing, in the insert. Since it is enamel, there is nothing to turn red and glowing. If I keep the fan on auto, then totally close the draft down at night, is that OK. the book says never leave fan on, unless I keep the draft open a 1/2 inch. When I close it all the way down, it still has draft and burns slower. So do I have to shut the fan off at night, when I close it down all the way?

I've got forced hot water heat so I'm just running the blowers on the insert plus a fan or two instead of the circulation pump. I'm not sure of the wattage on the pump, but I think it ought to be a wash electricity-wise.

For reference- the blower on my Jotul 450 insert draws exactly 60 watts when on the "high" setting. I measured this will a Kill-A-Watt.

Josh

I agree with all the replies that say it makes minimal difference to our electricity bill to run the fans on my Jotul. I also use a ceiling fan on low. Usually run insert fan on a low speed too and the warmth is ample.

Remember to clean your insert fans throughout the winter! On my old unit I was told no maintenance was required.....It was my first insert.....They were wrong and the fan had to be replaced after a year and it was a real hassle because the blower was mounted on the back of the unit.....When I bought it I was told it was mounted on the side and I believed them....Now I don't believe anything I can't see!!!!!

I learned about this web site after the fact and am very grateful. Helped a lot when I replaced the Napoleon.

Status
Not open for further replies.