Did you attach your top plate to the top of your chimney? If so, how?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffesonm

Minister of Fire
May 29, 2012
central NJ
I am installing the DuraLiner rigid liner and using their extend-a-cap kit. In the manual it says the whole thing just rests on the top plate, so you can rely on gravity to secure the liner, or you can mechanically fasten the top plate to the top of the chimney. That latter option sounds like a better idea to me.

I have terra cotta flue tile sticking up about 6" above the masonry, and the top plate rests on the tile. How have others attached the top plate? Some tapcons or something? Should I worry about drilling into the flue tile? Really don't want to crack that...

You could use construction adhesive. The liner is fairly heavy and gravity will hold it. I wouldn't use tapcons in terra cotta.

I have the same system. Clean the top edge of the clay tile off real good and put a nice generous bead of silicone on top of the edge and rest the extend-a-cap top plate on top set in the silicone. You can attempt to fasten it to the clay tile with S.S. pointed cap bolts, but you take the chance of breaking or cracking the flue tile. The weight of the liner will keep it from going anywhere. You'll understand when you install the liner.

I used silicone. There is no way that a wind is going to snake the chimney liner out of the chimney. Too much weight and drag. Heck, there's a 30 attached to the bottom of it!

Matt

If possible, before siliconing in place, bend the edges of the cap down at a 90 deg. angle to create a better weather seal.

Then brush the crown clean and blow off any dust. Use a good quality silicone adhesive like GE Silicone II. Apply one or two 1/2" thick beads around the perimeter of the chimney crown. (If this is on the clay tile, just one thick bead). Then seat the cap firmly with steady pressure all the way around to flatten the bead. Try not to disturb it for at least 24hrs. to let the adhesive set.

Thanks for the advice. I did as y'all generally suggested and just used the silicon. I wasn't worried so much about the whole liner coming out as it just moving around a bit and dislodging the seal. I went ahead and stuffed some Roxul in between the liner and the tile so it's in there pretty snug now.

Got the flex section hooked up to the stove connector too. I could only do three screws... one in the front and one on each side... no way to reach around to get the back one, as it's right up against the back wall of the fireplace. Figuring that should be fine, right? The whole weight of the liner is holding it down against the stove so don't think it's going anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.