1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Did you know this was available here?

Post in 'The Boiler Room - Wood Boilers and Furnaces' started by heaterman, Apr 10, 2012.

1. heaterman

heaterman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Falmouth, Michigan
    I would really consider something like this with a small amount of storage if I had a heat load of under 60K at design temperature. They deliver about 30% of the heat output directly to the room via long wave radiation and convective air flow from the unit itself and the remaining 70% goes in the hot water system.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. woodsmaster

woodsmaster Minister of Fire

Loc:
    N.W. Ohio
    Craig posted it once somewhere on here. Looks like a nice unit.
  3. stee6043

stee6043 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    West Michigan
    I'm one of the biggest supporters you'll find of having a boiler inside your house. But I think I would have to draw the line at "inside the living room"!

The boiler room is where I go to have a beer and unwind for 30 minutes after work. If the wife knew it only actually takes me 5 minutes to start the boiler I'd have some explaining to do...
  4. Gasifier

Gasifier Minister of Fire

Loc:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, N.Y.
    The boiler room is where I go to have a beer and unwind for 30 minutes after work. If the wife knew it only actually takes me 5 minutes to start the boiler I'd have some explaining to do...

;lol
  5. flyingcow

flyingcow Minister of Fire

Loc:
    northern-half of maine

+1. Sometimes it's a two beer start time.
  6. infinitymike

infinitymike Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    Yeah based on the mess I have in my boiler room I dont think I would want that in the living room.
    Wheres the video of them reloading when theres still a fire going. How long before the room fills with smoke and ash.

All that said, I'd still pay good money to have glass doors. I would sit in my boiler room for days and I don't even drink!
  7. infinitymike

Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    Lets see what the living room looks like after a season of this cleaning procedure!!!

A hellaluv lot of pieces to take a part. The fly ash has to be horrible. Better have a HEPA filter other wise you'll be blowing it all over the

8. woodsmaster

Loc:
    N.W. Ohio
    I was thinking the same thing about cleaning it. Better have a good ash vacume !!
  9. Sawyer

Sawyer Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern WI
    My sentiments exactly Mike!;)
  10. infinitymike

Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    Watch this video of her cleaning it. It looks like a nightmare.
  11. woodsmaster

Loc:
    N.W. Ohio
    Looks like it may have a draft inducer the way the ash is sucked into the holes. That helps, but you can still see fly ash disspirse into the room when she pulls the scoop out.
  12. infinitymike

Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    Plus taking all those pieces out and laying them on the floor(covered with paper), yeah right, there was alot of residual ash stuck to those thing too
  13. stee6043

stee6043 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    West Michigan
    I would have to believe the amounts of ash/mess would be no different than (or less than) having a traditional fire place in the living room? Folks have been cleaning fire places in the house for many many moons.
  14. woodsmaster

Loc:
    N.W. Ohio
    I've run both and cleaning the boiler tubes is far dirtier than my wood stove was. That being said The reason my boiler is in a shed is becouse I didn't like the wood mess and fly ash in the house from the wood stove.
  15. Gasifier

Loc:
    I have no experience with any other gassification boilers. But cleaning the Wood Gun is pretty simple. What do you have to do to clean the Biomass 60 woodsmaster? I am curious. How much different is it to clean all these different type gassers anyway?
  16. woodsmaster

Loc:
    N.W. Ohio
    cleaning 1.jpg cleaning 5.jpg cleaning 2.jpg I dont think it is much different than most the other downdrafters. If I leave the draft inducer on it will suck most of the fly ash up the chimminey, but I still make a mess. There is a plate on the top rear of the boiler you take off, then the turbulators come out, then I brush the tubes. After that You take the small access doors off each side to clean out the ash from in the tubes and ash that is sucked out of the wood chamber. I do this every 7 cord and it takes about 1 - 1 1/2 hours. There are also fins in the bottom chamber that I brush once a week. that only takes a couple minutes. If I had an ash vaccume I could minimize the mess.
    Gasifier likes this.
  17. Gasifier

Loc:
    I see now. Thanks for the pics. Different than the Wood Gun. What types of wood do you mostly burn in the Biomass?
  18. woodsmaster

Loc:
    N.W. Ohio
    So far mostly white ash. Have around 7 or 8 cord of white oak drying to burn in a couple years.==c
  19. Gasifier

Loc:
    Nice. I burn mostly White Ash as well. Mix in some White pine if I have it dried enough. I am very fortunate that I can get it all for free. Sorry for derailing the thread Heaterman. My bad. Anyone have any experience with the unit Heaterman started the post with?
  20. willyswagon

willyswagon Burning Hunk

Loc:
    PEI, Canada
    I was looking seriously at these units. The local dealer has moved over from Germany and has operated them for a few years now. Nice set up, don't see to be any messier than any other in house unit. Just didn't have enough output for my house.
  21. woodsmaster

Loc:
    N.W. Ohio
    No messier than other boilers, but most people don't put boilers in there living room. If you dont think they are messy come on over and clean mine. Deffinitly messier than a wood stove. I had a wood stove in the house and didn't like the mess. that is why I put my boiler in a shed.
  22. willyswagon

willyswagon Burning Hunk

Loc:
    PEI, Canada
    All I know is that I was there to watch him clean it. He did not have to be at strange angles to allow the camera a good shot. He used the vacuum alot more than she did in the video.It was very quick and clean( about 3 min).
  23. woodsmaster

Loc:
    N.W. Ohio
    I suppose if you are ok with the mess of a wood stove in your house than this wouldn't be much different. It sure
    is a nice looking unit.
  24. infinitymike

Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    I would love to have a glass door to see the primary firebox.

I wonder if there is a way to convert mine. Any thoughts.
  25. PassionForFire&Water

PassionForFire&Water Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Billerica, MA
    As the US distributor for this product I posted some pictures of over a decade long evolution and design changes for this particular decorative indoor wood boiler gasifier.
    It also gives you some ideas on how to incorporate a fire viewing port.
    I do not recommend to do it in the upper firebox becasue you probably don't have any provision that will keep the glass clean.
    It is easier done in the lower firebox where the gasification happens.
    You will need to use a double or trippled glazed veiwing port to prevent that the temperatures drop to much.
    See first and second picture.
    walltherm-rot.jpg ag_2.jpg wallthermarmaturen.jpg Holzofen-Wassertasche-Kachelofeneinsatz.jpg wallthermerstesbild.jpg