Didja ever notice...how sweet locust wood smells, and how purdy cherry wood flames?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoenix Hatchling

Minister of Fire
Dec 26, 2012
New Fairfield, CT
Black locust splits smell like mild vanilla bourbon, and cherry always seems to put on a light show with its green and blood red flames. Very mesmerizing every time and always a pleasure to watch!

Reactions: Lakeside
Never burned any Black Locust,but its distant cousin Honey Locust is very close in density/heat value & smells a little like clover honey,quite pleasant.Black Cherry is outstanding also,either for fuel,in the smoker & especially as cabinet/furniture/woodturning material when quality pieces are found.

No, in fact I haven’t done either one. You should give me some of each so I can better relate to your post! ;)

I am looking forward to trying different woods.

BL smells like crap when burning, I'll have to check a fresh split.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
I always thought that black locust smelled a bit medicinal when burning. Cherry on the other hand smells very pleasant like you say.

BL smells like crap when burning, I'll have to check a fresh split.
Take a split and let it warm up by the fire, then take a whiff.

I always thought that black locust smelled a bit medicinal when burning. Cherry on the other hand smells very pleasant like you say.
Not only the smell but a complete array of different colors than any other wood I find.

I don't know what type of Locust I was burning here and it was definitely Locust , but boy did it smell like urine.
I brought a bunch out camping and no one could stand the smell.
We went out and had to buy some overpriced firewood in a plastic bag:confused:.

I love BL to burn but smoke smell outside not too good. Almost a choking aroma. I still love it and get as much as I can.

Only burned BL once. It was okay smell until it got into the stove. Then it stunk to high Heaven. Nasty stuff but threw lots of heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.