Didn't measure before and now I have a problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CombatChris

Mar 27, 2014
Central NC
Well, you know what they say about making assumptions. I've gotten my Century CB00005 stove, which takes a 6' connection. I've got my 6' liner, and the chimney won't take it. This is a basement install- and there are 4 flues- 2 for each fireplace on the upstairs and basement. They're 6x10 each and will NOT accept the liner I have which has a ~6.5" OD. The ASSumption was that there were only 2 and they were something like 10x10 or 12x12 each.

So... return it. Get a 5' liner? Will that provide enough flow for this woodstove? At least I have a good height at ~23'.

I'm mad at myself for not getting up on the ladder in the first place and heading this off. Now I've got to pay some serious shipping and restocking to get the 6" back to the manufacturer (unless someone wants to buy it from me at a discount which works better for both of us!)

Plus, I can't even find a 6" to 5" adapter!

You can ovalize it you can break out the tiles or you could try a 5.5" but 5" wont work well at all you should also be insulating it which even at 5.5" insulated wont fit. 5.5" bare might even be tight

Yes 5.5" will probably draw fine but with a 6x10 clay liner and a 5.5" liner that is almost 6" outside if there are any offsets or misaligned tiles you could still be in trouble. And you will never get it insulated

We're going to try and oval-ize it and run it down.

Ovalizing is not going to work because where the flue makes a 45 degree bend it goes from being 6x10 to 10x6 - effectively leaving a 6x6 square as the dimension needed to pass. At this point I doubt even a 5.5" liner will work. I'm going to contact the manufacturer and see just what they say about a 5" liner. Like I've said before... at least I've got chimney height in my favor at ~23 ft.

Reactions: Huntindog1
Sounds like you might be SOL, unless you break those tiles out of there.

As painful as that would be for the vertical part of the chimney, I have no idea how the lining would get broken for the section within the 45* turn.

From the FAQ:

Can I install a liner with a 5-inch or 5.5-inch diameter?
All of our inserts are designed to function with a 6" liner. However, it is adequate to install a 5" or 5.5" liner when the masonry chimney is too tight for a 6" liner. Under certain conditions, the probability of a drafting issue is increased, which could favor smoke spillage and/or reduce combustion quality. But generally speaking, the vast majority of homeowners who properly install a 5" or 5.5" liner and use good heating techniques will be very satisfied with the performance of their wood insert.

That settles it I guess. I need to find a new home for the 6" liner and recoup as much as possible on it and get the 5". Good techniques will I guess mean very slowly opening the stove when refueling? Not letting the fire get too low unless I'm going to let it burn out? Keep the air off of the lowest setting because I'm already hampered some?

As painful as that would be for the vertical part of the chimney, I have no idea how the lining would get broken for the section within the 45* turn.
It's not a bad job if you have the right equipment. Your chimney should not have any 45 degree angles. Only 30 degree offsets are allowed. I have never seen a 5" liner on a wood burning appliance, good luck!

Reactions: bholler
We've had a few successes reported here with 5" on tall chimneys. Hope it works out ok here.

Can I install a liner with a 5-inch or 5.5-inch diameter?
All of our inserts are designed to function with a 6" liner. However, it is adequate to install a 5" or 5.5" liner when the masonry chimney is too tight for a 6" liner. Under certain conditions, the probability of a drafting issue is increased, which could favor smoke spillage and/or reduce combustion quality. But generally speaking, the vast majority of homeowners who properly install a 5" or 5.5" liner and use good heating techniques will be very satisfied with the performance of their wood insert.

I think going to 5" is a very bad idea i think you should get a pro out to look at it and give you a price on breaking out those liners i have a feeling you will regret it if you go to 5" if you go that way good luck to you especially with a hard offset

I'm confused a bit here. Are you saying the flue tiles actually are turned 90 degrees at the 45? I can't imagine why they would be.

Ovalizing is not going to work because where the flue makes a 45 degree bend it goes from being 6x10 to 10x6 - effectively leaving a 6x6 square as the dimension needed to pass. At this point I doubt even a 5.5" liner will work. I'm going to contact the manufacturer and see just what they say about a 5" liner. Like I've said before... at least I've got chimney height in my favor at ~23 ft.

That has to make for a very strange looking joint not easy to seal.

Your situation sounds ideal for Supaflu. Pour yourself a 6" round liner, or a 4" x 7", right in that 6" x 10" clay tile.

Status
Not open for further replies.