Diesel log splitter?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ohhhh Noooo....I would never say anything like that.;)

What I am saying is that without specialty components there is NO such thing as a 5" ram, 37 ton log splitter.
And that's a reason I asked. just because operating at 100% capacity 90% of the time seems like a short lived machine.

And that's a reason I asked. just because operating at 100% capacity 90% of the time seems like a short lived machine.

Hahaha - here is the kicker - they come from the factory with a lesser setting on the relief valve.;lol

You ain't even gonna get the 34 ton rating unless YOU crank it back up.

Hahaha - here is the kicker - they come from the factory with a lesser setting on the relief valve.;lol

You ain't even gonna get the 34 ton rating unless YOU crank it back up.
No way! I know the cummins in the Dodge I drive will run 73 @ 2500 rpm in 3rd gear. I only use it to climb a hill if I'm losing altitude pulling a trailer in OD, and if its a hill of any distance I back down to 2000 revs. I try to apply this principle to any machine. Though I realize the engines are governed with conservative nature, why risk it and blow an $8,000 engine.

Likewise, it's one thing to blow a hose or discover a hydraulic leak at preset limits. But max pressure can really let the fluid and steel fly:eek: , and has a greater potential to do so. It's not just a breakdown but a serious safety hazard.

Nonetheless, I'm kindof PO'd learning that splitters are marketed on what they CAN do but sold differently. The food we buy is required to not only list the ingredients, but whether they are derived from GMO plant products. But that's a soapbox for the Ash Can. And my mother warned me about that place.

Reactions: Realstone
Well, I put a low ball bid in on a new Speeco 16gpm 2 stage pump on Ebay yesterday, and never thought it would come to anything. Today I won the bid at $102.50 plus $15 shipping. So it looks like Catersplitter will be sporting a new Speeco 16gpm pump some time next week.::-)

Reactions: MasterMech
Well, I put a low ball bid in on a new Speeco 16gpm 2 stage pump on Ebay yesterday, and never thought it would come to anything. Today I won the bid at $102.50 plus $15 shipping. So it looks like Catersplitter will be sporting a new Speeco 16gpm pump some time next week.::-)
You won't be sorry. It will speed your cycle time by a good 30%.

Reactions: BrianK
Quick question: I got the splitter back from the forklift repair guy last week and he installed new hoses on the suction side. He took the old filter off the suction side and installed a new filter and hoses on the other side between the relief valve and the cylinder. He said that's where they are located on forklifts. Is that OK on a log splitter?

The relief valve kicks in at about 1600lbs pressure. Its supposedly adjustable but the knob is so tight I'm concerned about breaking the valve trying to adjust it. I'm thinking about just replacing the separate pressure relief valve and hydraulic control valve with a modern hydraulic log splitter control with detent and internal pressure relief valve.

With the 11gpm pump total cycle time out and back 16 seconds. I received the 16gpm pump from eBay and it will go on next week.

1600 is awfully low. Need to find the lowest rated component in the system and go from there.

Your idea of the new valve sounds good. Gonna go big and set up for auto extend/retract?

Filter should be in the suction where it was or in the return line running from the valve to the tank. Otherwise it will be exposed to high pressure, not sure if yours is rated for that? I've never seen a filter on the high pressure side for a splitter.... or on any open center hyd. system for that matter. Always in the return or suction lines. Closed center usually in the suction line.

1600 is awfully low. Need to find the lowest rated component in the system and go from there.

Your idea of the new valve sounds good. Gonna go big and set up for auto extend/retract?

Filter should be in the suction where it was or in the return line running from the valve to the tank. Otherwise it will be exposed to high pressure, not sure if yours is rated for that? I've never seen a filter on the high pressure side for a splitter.... or on any open center hyd. system for that matter. Always in the return or suction lines. Closed center usually in the suction line.

What ^ he said.

Do yourself a favor and replace the old relief and valve with a detent return. You will love it. I personally don't recommend an auto extend for a splitter. With the 16 gpm pump you will be running hard enough as it is.

In these photos, I think the device mounted between the motor and the cylinder is a filter, but it has the movable pointer/indicator on top that is viewable in the fourth photo, and I have no idea what that might be or its function. Also, in the second photo, directly above the hydraulic pump, there is a device with a large knob that is labelled "refill valve":

View attachment 64790View attachment 64791

Catersplitter UPDATE:
I replaced the 11gpm pump with a 16gpm pump, removed the home made jack stand and installed a trailer jack to hold up the front end, replaced the pusher plate assembly after it broke when I lent the splitter to a friend, and added a Harbor Freight Truck Crane (on sale, used 20% off coupon, ~$120) with a big set of Dixie log tongs (local CL find, $50) to lift rounds onto the splitter:
splitter2.jpgsplitter3.jpgsplitter4.jpgsplitter9.jpg

Attachments

• splitter5.jpg
    splitter5.jpg
    378.7 KB · Views: 892
Exactly! There's a few people on here I think that get their info from book reading and treat it as gospel. While that MAY be good info, OJT "real world" info is better.

My opinions, tho not always popular, are rooted in the reality of dirty wrenches, stained uniforms, and bloody knuckles. And sometimes an empty wallet.... :confused:

Reactions: MasterMech
Catersplitter UPDATE:
I replaced the 11gpm pump with a 16gpm pump, removed the home made jack stand and installed a trailer jack to hold up the front end, replaced the pusher plate assembly after it broke when I lent the splitter to a friend, and added a Harbor Freight Truck Crane (on sale, used 20% off coupon, ~$120) with a big set of Dixie log tongs (local CL find, $50) to lift rounds onto the splitter:
View attachment 103015View attachment 103016View attachment 103017View attachment 103018
I can't help but smile. I love it!

When does the video get released?

Reactions: ScotO and BrianK
I can't help but smile. I love it!

When does the video get released?

At one time I could upload video from my iPhone to YouTube but somehow I screwed up my settings and can't get them to upload now.

I wish I could. The upgrades are working fine but for some reason the ram is real jerky when it extends, not smooth. I don't know if the cylinder needs rebuilt or what. It does slowly drip hydraulic fluid where the ram extends from the cylinder.

At one time I could upload video from my iPhone to YouTube but somehow I screwed up my settings and can't get them to upload now.
Try sending the video to yourself in an email as an attachment. Then upload it from there? Never uploaded to Youtube before.

The upgrades are working fine but for some reason the ram is real jerky when it extends, not smooth. I don't know if the cylinder needs rebuilt or what. It does slowly drip hydraulic fluid where the ram extends from the cylinder.

Sounds like air is getting into the system, Brian. Can you hear a slight difference in tone (from the pump) when it is jerking?

Reactions: ScotO and BrianK
Sounds like air is getting into the system, Brian. Can you hear a slight difference in tone (from the pump) when it is jerking?
I think you're right Jags. I did notice it sounded different at a lower RPM setting.

I was just looking around the Internet and air in the lines seems the most likely culprit. I've found that if we forget to position the hydraulic fluid filler/ breather on the uphill side when we run it, the fluid foams up and overflows. I may not have topped it off high enough after one of those episodes when it was loaned out last fall. If that doesn't solve it I will recheck the pickup hose from the tank to make sure its not leaking air into hose going into the pump.

Depending on how much your cylinder is leaking, that could also introduce air into the system. Does it eventually work out, or does it happen pretty much all the time?

My opinions, tho not always popular, are rooted in the reality of dirty wrenches, stained uniforms, and bloody knuckles. And sometimes an empty wallet.... :confused:
Exactly! There's a few people on here I think that get their info from book reading and treat it as gospel. While that MAY be good info, OJT "real world" info is better.

Methinks MasterMech has spent his fair share of time both turning wrenches and reading the literature, a rare and valuable resource to us all.

Methinks MasterMech has spent his fair share of time both turning wrenches and reading the literature, a rare and valuable resource to us all.

I'm too young to be really good ;lol but I'm gonna be looking to start doing things that aren't covered in the book soon. ;)

Stick with it MM. I just have a feeling that you are one of the dudes that "gets it".:cool:

I will trade the multi-million dollar POS's at work anyday for these little "chitboxes" we all love so much. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.