Diesel Oil

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bjr23

Nov 2, 2009
Eastern WA
I have a smaller diesel tractor and I buy fuel from the local distributor in a 55 gallon drum. So, I use diesel for starting fuel. Does anyone else use Diesel to start their pellet stove? I just could justify the $5.50 a quart starter gel and then the store quit carrying that brand and the new stuff was $13 a quart. Now I read that hand sanitizer work if it's 62 percent alcohol, well I studied the content labels on a bunch of hand sanitizer and they apparently don't label the alcohol content anymore, so, you don't know what you are getting. bjr23

How about a more or less odorless, spill-proof method, say a bernzomatic torch?

I drive a diesel fueled car. The thought of keeping a small container of diesel in the house just doesn't pass the sniff test, pun intended.

Fuel oil smells!

All of the hand sanitizers I have tried worked just fine. Any Alcohol will work, plus there are many liquids in my garage that will start a fire real easily if needed.
If my ignitor drops dead, that is the easiest problem to overcome at 0300.

Bill

That reminds me I have to replace my furnace oil filter, will use gloves, stuff stinks.

x2 with using alcohol, either 90% isopropyl or denatured works extremely well. Zero odor and zero smoke, just soak the pellets in a 8 oz. cup for a minute and put into the burnpot. Light and enjoy.

wow you must work around diesel a lot or have numb nasal senses

Mapp gas on the torch when I had my Whitfield.

$13? I think I paid in the neighborhood of $7 for a quart bottle of starter gel at Wally world.

No way I would use #2 diesel as a starter. Alternatively I would use 91% isophoric alcolhol.

Stop being so F'n CHEEP!!

Whatever works for you guys is cool...but

I suspect, the people trying to ween themselves off of gel by fartin around marinating pellets in various flammable liquids, some of which are very stanky, simply have not used the torch method. There's no "minimum alcohol ratings", no special "diesel only" bottles, no "Sam's has the big bottle for $7" sillyness. I get it, we're guys, we like playing with fire and like trying to "reinvent" ignition methods to come up with a more effective way to get the job done. I also used to use gel, but have since learned a far quicker, easier and more effective method. Think about it...you squeeze the trigger and FIRE comes out of the end! Put fire to pellets for, at most, 30 seconds and shut the door. No spills, no smell. No soaking. Give a caveman a torch and a bottle of hand sanitizer. Which do you think he's gonna like more?

And yes, it's great to know alternate methods for when you run out of propane, but you're doing it the hard way. Buy a torch if you don't have one. But wait, there's more!....when you do, you'll also have a VERY effective tool for sweating pipes, loosening bolts, etc etc ect.....AND next time you have a brush/camp fire, you can use the torch for that too.

Reactions: Harmanizer
Any Alcohol will work,
If you think of the "proof" rating of drinking alcohol, 50% alcohol is 100 proof. That is 100% proof that it is at least 50% alcohol is that it will burn.

A gallon of denatured alcohol for 15 bucks has lasted me since 2008.

Propane torch. 100% of the time it works every time.
5738805_std.jpg

Diesel doesn't burn as easily as you might think, especially when it's cold. You would probably still need a torch to light it, so you you might as well just use the torch to begin with.
At any close to normal room temps fuel oil will still be match light. Had a countryside stove in garage and would light it with fuel-pellet combo to light corn. The extra btus would get the POF satisfied within the timed start cycle. Booze wouldn't.

I work around diesel and kinda like the smell. I don't want it in my house though, it's too much like bringing my work home. ;lol
I fill egg carton cups with sawdust and pour paraffin wax into the sawdust.

They light easily and burn for a long time, allowing the the pellets to get started.

Dave

I use a road flare and about 1-2 gal of diesel to start my brush piles on fire... in an old water can type fire extinguisher pressurized with air. Nice little flamer thrower. Empty and re-use as needed.

Diesel fuel contains Benzine, a known carcinogen. Use of this fuel out of doors probably presents only a minimal health risk. Indoors, during the winter, where air exchange is limited, I would be concerned about the levels of exposure from storage and use of Diesel. Elevated levels of exposure in the home are of more concern for people who spend a lot of time in their home. It is the combination of concentration and exposure time that is of concern.
You cannot rely on your nose to inform you of high concentration, because you sense of smell will adapt to the concentration and stop informing you of the risk.
I don't think that I want any unnecessary aromatic hydrocarbons in my home.

A big bottle of hand sanitizer is about $3 at the dollar store… lasts all year.

I work around diesel and kinda like the smell. I don't want it in my house though, it's too much like bringing my work home. ;lol
I fill egg carton cups with sawdust and pour paraffin wax into the sawdust.

They light easily and burn for a long time, allowing the the pellets to get started.

Dave
Your might be able to use Lint from the dryer also to make them with the wax.

I've used dryer lint before, it works alright but sawdust works better. I do a little woodworking, so there is never a shortage of sawdust.

I melt the paraffin in a can, set in a pan of boiling water. It's a little safer that way rather than putting the can directly on the stove, where the wax could more easily catch fire.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.