Difference between blocking your fireplace and putting a block plate up near the flu when installing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nanama72

Mar 9, 2008
Western MA
Already we are losing a lot of heat out of our open fireplace. If we were to put a wood stove in, could we put it part way into the fireplace and use a block plate to prevent the heat loss or do we need to block off the whole fireplace opening and put the wood stove in front?

convertingtowood said:
Already we are losing a lot of heat out of our open fireplace. If we were to put a wood stove in, could we put it part way into the fireplace and use a block plate to prevent the heat loss or do we need to block off the whole fireplace opening and put the wood stove in front?

install what they call a block off plate in your fireplace do a search and you will find a lot of info on block off plates

I've seen pictures of both. I guess it depends on what type of fireplace you have and your hearth clearances.

i read it like they are going to put a woodstove in their fireplace so why not the blockoff plate? or are you suggesting they install it in front of the fireplace?

If I install partially in the fireplace does that mean I am heating the entire brick masonry to the outside? If I block off the front of the fireplace, does that prevent that? Should fiberglass insulation be placed behind the fireplace block off? If I put in an insert instead, would it be wise to put fiberglass insulation behind the insert below the damper block off plate?

Thanks so much.

Thanks so much. I did read that article since IceMan has referred me to it previously on a search. There are a couple of things I still don't understand:

1. should the damper block plate be sealed around the liner
2. if putting in an insert, would it be good to put insulation behind the insert, or would this be a fire risk?
3. If putting a stove in front of the fireplace and blocking off the fireplace as well, would it be good to sock in the area between the blocking off of the fireplace and the damper block plate with fiberglass insulation, or would that be a fire risk?

Thanks so much

convertingtowood said:
Thanks so much. I did read that article since IceMan has referred me to it previously on a search. There are a couple of things I still don't understand:

1. should the damper block plate be sealed around the liner
2. if putting in an insert, would it be good to put insulation behind the insert, or would this be a fire risk?
3. If putting a stove in front of the fireplace and blocking off the fireplace as well, would it be good to sock in the area between the blocking off of the fireplace and the damper block plate with fiberglass insulation, or would that be a fire risk?

Thanks so much

Yes, seal the block off plate and the liner.
No insulation behind an insert, but KAWool on top of the blockoff plate is a good idea. (overkill but nice)
Block off the fireplace opening with a woodstove and you can put KAWool on the metal surface that is inside. I wouldn't stuff the fireplace with fiberglass, it would be messy.

The reason to have the woodstove installed outside the firebox is that it will give you maximum heat output that way. And, blocking off the opening with metal will make sure that heat stays in the room.
If you went for an insert, it has those factors considered in its design. My personal preference for looks and function is the woodstove option.

Status
Not open for further replies.