Difference between low end stoves ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Karina

Oct 13, 2007
Hi ...What an informative forum this is !!!! Glad I found it.
I have a question someone may be able to help me with.
After reading posts here it's obvious that the brand name Vogelzang is
mud to many people. WAIT! read on!
I appreciate the input but need some clarification.
I'm building a small solar home here in NM and hope to occupy the first
stage this fall. In my search for a small..."inexpensive" wood stove I came
across a Vogelzang called Rancher. It sure looks cute and is the right price
for a temporary heat source.
I'll be heating no more than 500 sq ft of well insulated passive solar
space.
Now ..I've been heating with wood most of my adult life and must say that
I've never seen much difference between one cheap stove and another. I have
a SUN potbelly and a King box ....have used many others and plan to
invest in a high end stove when my home is complete. Right now I'd rather
have indoor plumbing for a change..he he
Do you think that a $250 dollar Vogelzang is worse that a $250 dollar...anything
else? (New of course)
Many Thanks
Karina

Short answer yes. Bad castings can fail unexpectedly. And the cheap Vogelzang will never seal correctly. This can be a problem with a runaway fire. Take a look at the smallest Englander stove. They are available at Home Depot and are EPA rated. You won't need much more than that. 500 sq ft is a small space.

http://www.englanderstoves.com/wood_stoves.html

Thanks for the link.and the advise ...Ill have a look.
I did wonder if the casting was a factor. Thickness is Not the
same a quality....I know that from my cast iron cookware.
I was Amazed at the low quality of "newer" cast iron fry
pans and dutch ovens...EEEKKKK!!!
Not sure what you mean by a runaway fire though. One that can't
be stopped? You'll have to pardon me for what may seem like
simple questions....English is not my first language.
I Have had once a fire that ROARED ...loud !! Closed down
every air way and it burned out.
Have you ever had a fire that you couldn't arrest?
Karina

Sounds like you are building a dream home. then why would you even considering placing it in danger of an unknown
the stove you are contemplation installing is not good enough to even carry the basic safety lable or listing By Ul the stove manual
even stated the stove is not Ul approved The recommended locations for the stove are for barns but not within a living space.

Personally no inspector can even grant a permit to install a non listed Ul approved stove. I'm taking the time to tell you this ,so that you future dream house is not a future

pipe dream. There are some Vogelzang stoves listed and EPA approved Some Driots and Century stoves for the economy minded. All preform decent.

Thanks for your reply elk....(sorry can't get it all)
Your right.. this will be my dream home. It's taken many
years to design and begin to build. I was wanting to hold off
on big $ re: heat because I have 2 additions planned for next
year. This 500 sq ft is only the start.
As far as permits and inspection is concerned ....well....I just
won't go there. I know I'll have to "come clean?" when
needed ...but for now all I need is a place to spend the winter.
The inexpensive stove will be moved out when paper work needs
to be done. I do live in NOWHERE New Mexico... but! I also want
to be safe!
Oh ...I wouldn't put ANY cheap wood stove in the barn with my
animals. They don't know how to feed it ..or control the draft!
he he he
Many Thanks Off on the stove hunt.
Karina

If you are near Las Cruces or Carlsbad Sutherland's Lumber carries a lot of stoves at great prices this time of year. The Texas stores have them too.

Look also at the Jotul 602 - it will cost most than the cheapest steel box, but is the largest selling stove in history (1.5 million units) for a reason - it has a reasonable price - looks good, and will last just about forever....with very little service........and, it looks good in the process.

Again, not the cheapest, but when resale, longevity and other factors are considered, it just might be. No one is going to put these stoves out in the trash or sell them on Craigslist for $100.

Great info folks!
Many Thanks!!!! Personally ...I've never thought of
re sale when it comes to low price stoves.
Others here do though. I've had people ask mega bucks
for trash that would need several tubs of furnace cement
before lighting even a few "stickers" with one page of newspaper.
OH MY !!!!
I'm in Northern NM (between Santa FE and Las Vegas) but will check out
the shops mentioned. Many will deliver if the order is large enough
and time is not an issue.
I'm stocking for this springs construction..lumber....tile ...pipe ...ect cos I don't think
anything will get cheaper anytime soon....if ever.
Danke
Karina

Beautiful country where you are. But in winter it can get cold there. There is nothing between you and the North Pole but a barbed wire fence.

precaud said:
Karina, I'm in Santa Fe if I can be of any help.

and you have one of them 602's your just dying to sell. :)

Webmaster said:
Look also at the Jotul 602 - it will cost most than the cheapest steel box, but is the largest selling stove in history (1.5 million units) for a reason - it has a reasonable price - looks good, and will last just about forever....with very little service........and, it looks good in the process.

Again, not the cheapest, but when resale, longevity and other factors are considered, it just might be. No one is going to put these stoves out in the trash or sell them on Craigslist for $100.

Wow!! that is one nice looking stove! Reminds me of my past ..where everyone burned wood at least some times
during the winter.I'm from northern Germany. A wood stove WAS furniture and Was used . $700 is just a bit more than my budget will allow at this point. But !! I can see using it in the "all weather" space (next phase)
I have planned after this winter...good investment.......hummmmm....still scratching me head.
I'm trying to get used to the Forum format.....so excuse me if I get things wrong like how and where to answer.
I'll understand it pretty quick.
A barbed wire fence from the North Pole? he he NO WAY! I've lived on the mesas and peaks in this area and would come here
where it was tolerable to cut downed wood ..even in January. Picnic Time he he
Any thoughts about "homemade" wood heaters ??
I've done the 35 gal. drum (with kit) before but that isn't appropriate for this home.
I DO "eye" a stash of hot water heater cores . I'm not the best welder but do have all the equipment needed.
Burn On ,,,,, Karina

These days, for better or worse, code officials and insurance co's won't let you install unlisted / home made stoves any more - as I understand it, even the stove built as a project by one of our users (Corie, then an engineering student studying the subject, now working for Englander as a stove designer) was not "legal" to install... Thus the barrel stoves (which never were all that safe) and other home brew contraptions aren't a good solution any longer.

However, every once in a while good bargains can show up on E-bay, Craig's list, or other local sources if you move quickly. This is generally the wrong season for them, but SOME of the cheap stoves that show up second hand are worth the effort...

Gooserider

This stove showed up on a CT craigslist today. It's a good example of serious overfiring and what you don't want to see in a stove.

The dude had the temerity to end his ad with " my loss, your gain." - right... lucky he didn't lose his house. Can you see your kids playing around this?

Attachments

• vogel_overfire.jpg
    vogel_overfire.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 323
BeGreen said:
This stove showed up on a CT craigslist today. It's a good example of serious overfiring and what you don't want to see in a stove.

The dude had the temerity to end his ad with " my loss, your gain." - right... lucky he didn't lose his house. Can you see your kids playing around this?

yeah... i'd say that was rode hard and put away wet. just a touch on the hot side
<chuckle> wonder what the inside looks like

The castings didn't shatter. ;-)

BTW Karina, that roaring noice you heard once is an out of control fire. That's called overfired and burnt. The damage to the stove could have been minor, but even if it isn't cracked or warped, it is definitely less than safe. In the cheap and un-certified stoves is, you can't depend on being able to close off the fresh air enough to stove the overfiring. The roar is the air being sucked into the stove out of control. Now, if the roar was not from the stove, but from the chimney, or flue, you have the second most dangerous condition. possibly, a chimney fire. I'll let someone else give you the horror stories of what that might be. :ahhh:

Status
Not open for further replies.