Difference between Resolute II and III for burning wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dlj

Jan 10, 2014
Monroe, NY
I've got an old Resolute III purchased originally from Vermont Castings as the coal version. So I've never had the original wood burning internal parts - I've always just used coal. While I like burning coal, quite a lot actually, I have been thinking to convert this stove to wood. I went onto Woodsmans Parts and discovered that internal parts for the Resolute III are composed of the identical right side insert between the Resolute II and III. However, the left side insert for the Resolute II has the air feed half way up the left side, and you only need the left and right side inserts for the Resolute II. However, for the Resolute III, the left side insert has the air feed on the bottom front corner, and that connects into what Vermont calls an ash fettle - which looks to me like a low riding air manifold across the bottom front of the stove.

It's rather intriguing to me the difference between the two air feed systems. It leads me to two questions:

Could I actually convert my Resolute to either system?

Would one of these two systems be preferred over the other? And why do you think that?

Thank you for any responses.

dj

Have you determined whether all these parts are still available? Likely that will make the choice for you.

I'm owned the stove for many years, it's been now sitting idle for about 5 years, I have no current plans to put it into service however having the dual option of wood or coal is of interest. I'm in no hurry, so given that time is on my side, the current availability is not relevant.

But I really am interested in knowing if either system has any particular advantage/disadvantage and if, in fact, I could use either option in the stove I have.

dj

Status
Not open for further replies.