Difference in gas logs?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Firedeb

Feb 6, 2008
So Calif
I was told by a Gas Log Salesman that his expensive gas logs (for a vented system) are made of ceramic with steel in the inside and that they would actually heat up a room as compared to the less expensive cement gas logs sold at Home Improvement Stores. Is this correct? Thanks for your help!

Most gas logs take tons of air up the chimney with them and will often result in an overall heat loss. Sounds like a bunch of BS to me.

If your going to open up your flue to vent gas logs, you might as well keep your regular, woodburning fireplace.
Any heat will be drawn up the opened damper, along with your heated room air.
And don't even consider unvented gas logs,please, for your own health.
Thats almost as bad as painting a stove with Stove Bright Paint,indoors. Dahh!!
I would recomend a Direct Vent Fireplace Gas Insert of your choice.
You will use outside air for combustion, and the unit will heat your room without drawing out the already heated air. Completely sealed and healthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.