Difference in quality between the PE 27 and Englander 13?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ericj

Oct 9, 2010
Iowa
The PE costs 2.5 times what the Englander costs. I'm sure some of that buys better quality components, but what exactly should I expect? Is their a great difference? (Incidentally, can you get an Englander 13 without the gold trim? I'd prefer black if possible.) Thanks everyone.

Don't know much about the PE, but the 13 is a pretty good quality stove. Maybe the PE is a more ornate looking stove.

Yes you can get them all black, without the gold trim. The trim can easily be removed if need be.

blel said:
Don't know much about the PE, but the 13 is a pretty good quality stove. Maybe the PE is a more ornate looking stove.

Yes you can get them all black, without the gold trim. The trim can easily be removed if need be.

How would I find one that is all black? So far all the pictures I find have the gold trim.

One of the main differences that come to mind will be the baffle. (I assume the PE 27 is much like my little Vista) The PE will have a stainless steel baffle and the Englander will have a ceramic baffle. I have read nothing but good things about Englander here, so I don't know how much that matters. But, I would assume you have to be careful of breaking the baffle when putting wood in the Englander.

ericj said:
blel said:

How would I find one that is all black? So far all the pictures I find have the gold trim.

The trim is an option and cost extra $$$. If you order a stove, it will not come with the extra stuff like gold trim, unless you order it.

And the trim just slips off.

Maybe the PE Vista is a better comparison to the Englander 13 as the Super 27 is a larger stove than the 13. The 27 will allow you to load 18"+ splits N/S while the 13 is an E/W loading stove because the firebox is wider than it is deep. I believe PE uses thicker steel on their stoves.

The PE has heavier steel, stainless enclosed baffle, much closer clearances with no side shields necessary (already part of the stove), easy hearth requirements, long burn times, quieter blower (if that option is chosen), more options for trim (or not), etc. This is not to knock the 13NC which offers great value. There are a lot of happy owners of this stove. But you do get more with the PE.

Status
Not open for further replies.