Different flame after burn pot liner change

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nailed_nailer

Minister of Fire
Oct 29, 2007
Cape Cod, Ma
Hey All,

I ordered and got a new SS burn pot liner for my EF-2 from CCS. Thanks Rod. Their service was as advertised. It even showed up a few days early.

Not sure if I have a problem or not. Since the change out I now have to keep the auger speed pot turned to about the 2 o'clock position in order to get a nice glass filling flame. With the old burn pot liner I had the auger speed pot at noon for the same fire.

I am only guessing here but I assume I will be using more fuel with a faster feed.

Has anyone else noticed this after a burn pot liner change out.

If you remember my questions from last week. The arrival of the new liner answered some of those questions.
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/12053/

The new pot liner has an extra bend across the front of it for strength. It bends back in closer to the fire. I can guess this is to keep the pot front square.

I think I will switch back to the old liner for a bag to see if I am imagining this.

Thanks,
---Nailer---

Im lost on what your problem is
Is you flame sooty now. or was is sooty before?

With a Pellet stove you want an intense flame not a tall lazy flame.

With the old pot you might have had air leaking around it and NOT thru the holes making a lazy flame.

you might just have to adjust the air.

with out a Magnahilic this is the best way to dial it in.
with the stove on Hight and running for 15 minutes after start up.
Push the air rod in. you will see a tall ugly lazy flame
thenslowly pull the rod out
as the flame comes down, more intence and be more yellow
when the flame looks like it is not changing anymore stop pulling out.
If you have sparks popping this is normal
but you dont want to see PELLETS popping out.

If you get Brown or Grey soot on the glass and firebrick this is normal
if you have BLACK soot on the firebrick and glass pull the air out a little more.

If you have the air out all the way and no change in fire then you have an air leak or ash pan or door is not shut.
Or your venting in not correct.

hearthtools said:
Im lost on what your problem is
Is you flame sooty now. or was is sooty before?

With a Pellet stove you want an intense flame not a tall lazy flame.

With the old pot you might have had air leaking around it and NOT thru the holes making a lazy flame.

you might just have to adjust the air.

with out a Magnahilic this is the best way to dial it in.
with the stove on Hight and running for 15 minutes after start up.
Push the air rod in. you will see a tall ugly lazy flame
thenslowly pull the rod out
as the flame comes down, more intence and be more yellow
when the flame looks like it is not changing anymore stop pulling out.
If you have sparks popping this is normal
but you dont want to see PELLETS popping out.

If you get Brown or Grey soot on the glass and firebrick this is normal
if you have BLACK soot on the firebrick and glass pull the air out a little more.

If you have the air out all the way and no change in fire then you have an air leak or ash pan or door is not shut.
Or your venting in not correct.

Rod,

Thanks for the response.
The flame is not sooty. Just low.
With the original pot liner and the dial-a -flame set to mid way (noon) I had a great flame tall enough to fill the glass and nice and active. With the damper about mid way.

With the new liner and the dial-a-flame set to the same noon position I get a low flame. Basically an active smolder in the pot liner. In order to get a similar flame as before I have to turn up the dial-a-flame to the 2'oclock position. Damper in about the same position.

I don't think it is a problem I just wondered if anyone else had noticed the difference.

When turned up enough, I get a great flame but, I am using more pellets. My soot seems to be brown and flaky. It cleans off the glass easily.

I'll know more when I try the old pot liner again on Thursday. I'll take pictures.

Thanks again,
---Nailer---

I could be that you are now using a differnt Pellets
If the pellets are longer now you will have to turn up the Heat setting
For shorter pellets will feed more at a time than longer pellets

hi nailed i am new on here i live in canada and have an enviro ef3 and they show 2 liners for it residential and high ash . i wonder if this might be the case with your liner?

56 chevtruck said:
hi nailed i am new on here i live in canada and have an enviro ef3 and they show 2 liners for it residential and high ash . i wonder if this might be the case with your liner?

Im not sure we sent him the original pot or hi ash.

The difference of the two is the High ash has larger holes in the bottom of the burn pot.

You would just need to adjust the air.

Thanks for trying to help out guys.

The burn pot liner that Rod sent to me appears to have the same holes in it as the old one. The only difference seems to be the bend I mentioned on the front of the liner.

I never did get to swapping the old one back in to see the difference. It seems to be burning just fine.

Perhaps later in the season when I get some free time I can play with it.

BTW. I have been burning NEWP hardwood pellets since Thanksgiving. Before and after the liner change. So I know the fuel isn't the difference. I have burned 50 bags in 46 days. Not to bad if you ask me.

Thanks again for the assist.

---Nailer---

Status
Not open for further replies.