Different furnace install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tjcole50

Minister of Fire
Oct 5, 2013
Ohio
I have seen some add on or stand alone wood furnaces installed in peoples attached garages. They simply use black chimney pipe and do a small run into the living area of black duct work and dump the heat into a simple open floor layout. It actually looks prettu good when done neat. I was wondering has anyone ever installed an add on furnace in an enclosed porch or mudroom type area then simply run a short throw of duct into the living area??

I would think its possible, but you have to remember that if your going from (assuming 3 season porch) or non-insulated cold room, your duct work will need to be insulated, also don't forget you will need to cut in a return air duct and for added protection do a air filter setup on the return side.

Garage installs, generally not "legal". Mud room/porch, could probably be made to work with lots of duct insulation if you are willing to lose all that nice radiant heat off the furnace...hafta make sure you keep the CTCs on the supply duct too

Well our future mudroom would be fully insulated but no heating/ac ran to it. Just looking at diffrent options.. sure would be convenient loading wood into mudroom as opposed to basement. Obviously radiant heat would heat that section during winter hell would probably get to hot in there. Be a nice place to dry out boots

I think it would be doable if it fits your situation & layout - but you'd want to make sure your insurance company is OK with it first. They're a bit odd sometimes.

A friend of mine has an attached garage, and he has his furnace out there just outside the entrance to his house (actually started out as a mobile home but got built on too). His wood is out there too. Ducted into the house, and also keeps his garage toasty. He had to raise it up off the floor a certain amount to satisfy insurance.

I would think it would need to be a pretty big mudroom though - wouldn't want a furnace in too confined a space.

Status
Not open for further replies.