Different Options for Piping a wood boiler, which to use?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NewBoiler

Feb 23, 2010
Canada
I am installing a Kerr TW2000 wood bolier into an existing oil- hot water system. The current system is made up of a Slant/Fin oil boiler with an indirect water tank used for hot water. The zones consist of one containing baseboard heaters and three containing cast iron radiators. All rads(baseboard and cast iron) are plumbed using Wirsbro 1/2 pex pipe so I need to be very careful in my design that these pipes do not overheat.

The diagram I am following is attached and is from the manuafacturer. It is a parallel setup with the wood boiler supply being tied into the oil boiler return and the wood boiler return coming from the oil boiler supply. This system seems to keep the oil boiler hot so that it never turns on.

I just went to look a a friends system has the same components (infloor radient heating though) but is plumbed much differently. The wood and oil hot water supply are tied together into a mixing valve and sent to the zones and the return are tied together. Totally different. From what I have read, this system is plumbed in series? Is that correct?

Whats the advantages and disadvantages of both systems?

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 772
Status
Not open for further replies.