Different Pellet distribution channels ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering if pellet manufacturers are actually selling under their own name only or also use extra production or lots that fail QC and push them into other sales channels. Meaning, could it be that box store pellets could sometimes contain very high quality pellets because they are overproduction from good brands ?

What triggers my question is the apparent wild quality difference between box store brand pellets reported here (both by time and geographical) and my own finding that Natures Heat from Walmart (well the bag sais Pennington) was as good as Barefoots for 1/3 less price and on the other way round New England Wood Pellets were as average as say Instant Heat for 1/3 more bucks. Also saw some reports lately about really good Stove Chow (performing on par with Hamers), but I found them average.

Overproduction in cosmetics, soap or dishwasher detergent is often sold as a different low price brand - is that true for pellets as well ?

I bought 4 bags of Penningtons earlier in the winter. 2 from HD and 2 from Wal-Mart, just to try. They were 2 diiferent colors and lengths. HD's were very short (like Somersets) and dark. The bags from Wal-Mart were MUCH lighter and 3 times the length.(1"-1 1/2") completely different. Both were garbage. IMHO.

I am noticing a difference between pallets from the same mfg I have 4 pallets of NEWPS and the are not equal in ash, clinkers, or heat output.

I just fired up my new stove last Sunday and have tried numerous pellets. Started with Lowes store "Americas finest" , tried Inferno's, Lignetics and Maine Woods.

The Lignetics have been far superior for Heat output and Ash

Infernos Are the worst followed closely by the Maine Woods

lowe's stuff was OK

I just picked up a Ton of the Lignetics at my local Ace hardware for $249.99

Stove is a USSC 6041

Status
Not open for further replies.