Different way to burn?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

grunyon

Jan 25, 2013
I have a Jotul F400. Had some wet wood woes. Still do. Every driveway wood stand sells wood at 30%+ moisture. Bought four cords of wet wood too.

Anyway, I was impressed at how my father's open fireplace would keep coals overnight. Talked about banking the coals and such. I decided to let my ash pan fill and what a difference. Coals in the morning. Long burns. The stove its self stays hot to the touch and it keeps my small house warm.

Any input?

Is this a new or older stove? I'm wondering if your ash pan door is not sealing well and leaking in air that was burning your coals down?

I'm surprised as many people with wet wood report the opposite problem, excessive coaling.

Keeping at least an inch or two of ash in the firebox makes a big difference in how these stoves retain the coals and heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.