Differential Temperature Controller

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AK13

Feeling the Heat
Oct 15, 2010
Seacoast, NH
I am looking for a differential temperature controller, (preferably with an adjustable differential). I'm trying to help some one solve a problem with the controls for their wood fired boiler system.

This person has a wood fired boiler and when the boiler is firing a pump runs to transfer heat from the boiler to the storage tank. This pump is currently activated by an A419 temperature controller with a sensor located at the boiler. So the owner fires up the boiler and then sets the setpoint to about 15 F above the storage tank temperature. Once the fire has heated the boiler to this temperature the pump starts to pump water from the tank through the boiler. 15 degrees seems to be a good temperature because it means the fire is hot enough to keep the pump from cycling off when the colder tank water gets pumped into the boiler and cool enough that it won't shock the boiler when the pump kicks on.

Does anyone see the problem yet? The pump should stop when the boiler stops firing (burns out) but it continues to run because the water in the tank has been heated and is being pumped through the boiler where the temperature is set. So the owner either has to manually raise the temperature setpoint once the fire is out to shut off the pump. Or it just keeps pumping until its cooled back down to its initial temperature.

So the differential temperature controller would have a sensor at the boiler and a sensor at the tank and would only enable the pump when the leaving boiler temperature was 15 F warmer than the storage tank. My problem is that I cannot find a sensor that will do this. Does anyone know of an affordable, off the shelf solution?

Tekmar 155, 156, or 157 would do this. depending on your needs. Also differential controllers are available from suppliers of solar energy equipment. But I have some questions first. What type of boiler are you operating? What is the operating procedure? What is the heating system? There may be some suggested ideas for better operating the boiler which may or may not make useful a differential controller.

I use the Tekmar 156 and it works great for me.

I ordered and am going to be using the Azel 932 differential control. It does allow tailoring of settings.

I've been impressed by their products, and they ship fast.

www.azeltec.com

The Tekmar 156 looks PERFECT. Thank you so much for the advice. I'm a little bit upset with Google for not finding this for me.

I think that the boiler is a Marathon. No controls or anything on the boiler, its basically a woodstove with a hw coil. Basically they just start a fire, heat the storage tank or send the water out to a radiant floor/hw radiator heating system. So I don't think they have many options on how to operate the boiler.

Status
Not open for further replies.