1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Difficulty getting insurance

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by Trickle, Feb 21, 2013.

1. ArsenalDon

ArsenalDon Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Meadow Valley, CA
    Oh, I forgot to mention...when we were looking at homes to buy up here in the Sierra Nevada's we looked at this one in zone 8 and one in a zone 10....the zone 10 home would have cost us $4,000 per year more in insurance....

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. ddahlgren

ddahlgren Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    SE CT
    I get it from post #14
  3. brian89gp

brian89gp Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Kansas City
    Try Missour Farm Bureau, they don't seem to care about a great many things in my experience. I'm currently insuring a place with no heat source.
  4. Dune

Dune Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Commonwealth Of Massachussetts
    As far as I know, no bank will loan money on a house with no central heat anyway.
    If you are not planning to use it, electric baseboard is the way to go. Cheap and easy.
  5. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

If the sellers were smart, they would install the elec baseboard heat and shut down the whole issue right then and there.
    jharkin likes this.
  6. daveswoodhauler

daveswoodhauler Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Massachusetts
    Wow, a question finally up my alley. (I'm an underwriter for a P & C carrier)
    Anyway, as others have said, you have two main issues....the smaller being the lack of any heat source other than the stove...but the larger issue is the Protection Class Area being a 10.

Many carriers wont offer coverage on PC's above 7, and unfortunately with 10 being the highest (no protection), most insurers have treaty exclusions that forbids them from writing anything in a PC 10 area.

Although you could install electric heat in the building, I still don't think you would be able to find a carrier that would write this coverage on a voluntary basis. I Would check with your state to see if the have an equivelent of the "fair plan" which is usually a market backed by the governement that allows folks to get insurance on high risk properties, such as coastal risks, and others in high PC areas.

You might also check with the local fire department, as sometimes the department does not upstate their protection info with ISO.....and I have seen a few cases where the rating boards showed a property as being PC 8-9 when it was actually a PC 5-6.

If its truly a PC 10, I think your only option would be to self insure, as I don't see a lender providing a mtg for a property with no public protection.

Good Luck
  7. ddahlgren

ddahlgren Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    SE CT
    I would have to think there is a lot more to a PC 10 than the fire dept 5 miles away. possibly no source of water? Bad roads? No driveway?
  8. daveswoodhauler

daveswoodhauler Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Massachusetts
    It can depend on a variety of items. # of trucks/equipment the town had, # of firefighters, access to water (hydrants, retaining pond, etc..) Road conditions, accessibility of heavy vehicles (i.e, a 20 wheel firetruck trying to access a curvy, mountain driveway) PC 10 is basically an area where when a fire starts, its just going to keep burning on its own.
  9. saladdin

saladdin Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    West Tennessee
    Our very own insurance nerd!

Curious. Would a pellet stove install count if a second heat source is needed in addition to the wood stove?
  10. maverick06

maverick06 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    media, pa
    I have GRANGE MUTUAL CASUALTY

no problems there. originally had erie insurance. when i put in the wood stove the insurance agent said, ok... whatever... no one cares, but we will not it in your record. I went off happy. Of course I have to wonder how they would care if i had to file a claim.

What I have heard is a bigger issue is if it is your ONLY heating source. Its easy to keeps the pipes from freezing if you have centeral heat.... not so much with the wood stove... doubly so when you arent home with no centeral heat...