Diggin big split performance

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SolarAndWood

Minister of Fire
Feb 3, 2008
Syracuse NY
Finally had some weather where the stove got to work. I have been experimenting with larger split sizes and am very happy. I was able to run the stove wide open blowers blazin for 12 hours on loads of 3 year dried beech, locust and maple. That combined with a lot of work on the shell of the house this year by far did the best job keeping up in 0F and blowing weather that I have done to date. This is the first time I have been able to maintain in those conditions without breaking out the electric heaters. Kind of a drag to load the stove with chunks tonight but don't have enough to be burning 150 pounds of dry big splits a day for very long anyway.

Attachments

• 010212 snack.jpg
    010212 snack.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 805
  • 010212 snack2.jpg
    010212 snack2.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 831
  • 010312 am load.jpg
    010312 am load.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 822
  • 010312 snack.jpg
    010312 snack.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 822
  • 010412 am.jpg
    010412 am.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 815
Well done. I use really big split to top off at bedtime over a big pile of really hot coals or smaller splits that are still burning. Gives me a great overnight burn. I wouldn't tend to start off with a full load of big ones, though. FWIW, pretty much all I have to burn is oak.

Thanks. Have a long way to go with the house still but this was a pretty nice milestone. I really like how the big splits seem to push more of the heat output to later in the burn cycle.

I threw in a chunk of some 2 year old black locust the size of a watermelon tonight. It was an ugly knot from my pre-hydraulic days. We'll see how this load goes, but I'm expecting good things.

SolarAndWood said:
Finally had some weather where the stove got to work. I have been experimenting with larger split sizes and am very happy. I was able to run the stove wide open blowers blazin for 12 hours on loads of 3 year dried beech, locust and maple. That combined with a lot of work on the shell of the house this year by far did the best job keeping up in 0F and blowing weather that I have done to date. This is the first time I have been able to maintain in those conditions without breaking out the electric heaters. Kind of a drag to load the stove with chunks tonight but don't have enough to be burning 150 pounds of dry big splits a day for very long anyway.
What is the size of those splits and do you mean your air intake is wide open and your getting a 12 hour burn, thats good.

Big ones are 8x7-8x18. Air intake is as open as the stove burns without sending the heat up the pipe. Not the most efficient way to burn the stove if trying to get every last btu out of every pound of wood, but the highest the stove effectively burns when you need the heat..

Nice size splits! I usually end up with two many of that size split because I get to lazy while splitting and then end up wishing i had some smaller ones :smirk:

lukem said:
I threw in a chunk of some 2 year old black locust the size of a watermelon tonight. It was an ugly knot from my pre-hydraulic days. We'll see how this load goes, but I'm expecting good things.

The watermelon was partially intact this morning after 10 hours with fans on high and the T-Stat cranked. Loaded at 8PM and will make it until noon before it needs more fuel. Can't beat that.

This load was the black locust monster split, one stick of hedge about 4x4x16, and topped off with ash.

certified106 said:
I usually end up with two many of that size split

I end up with a lot smaller stuff in the pursuit of 8x8s. I figure I need 20"+ diameter rounds that are reasonably straight to do it. They are hit and miss to find in the urban scrounging market. If I could find more stuff like this, I would be all set.

Attachments

• 081711 split 2.jpg
    081711 split 2.jpg
    259.7 KB · Views: 618
  • 081711 split 4.jpg
    081711 split 4.jpg
    237.3 KB · Views: 628
lukem said:
This load was the black locust monster split, one stick of hedge about 4x4x16, and topped off with ash.

Wish I was stuck with such lousy fuel :coolsmirk:

Every morning I read this site and get jealous.
Only thing I can hang my hat on so far this year is that I haven't heard the heat pump kick on once.
Got down to 8* the other night.

Grannyknot said:

I'd probably be back paying the propane man if it wasn't for what I have learned around here the past 5 years. I could make fire but didn't have a clue how to actually heat my house with wood.

SolarAndWood said:
lukem said:

I've been hopin' to find some aspen, but it doesn't grow around these parts. Guess I'll just have to make do with locally available wood...

lukem said:
SolarAndWood said:
lukem said:

I've been hopin' to find some aspen, but it doesn't grow around these parts. Guess I'll just have to make do with locally available wood...

Aspen may be hard to find but I bet you could find some weeping willow, which will be even wetter, lower density, and stinkier. As a bonus it will be harder to split.

Wood Duck said:
lukem said:
SolarAndWood said:
lukem said:

Aspen may be hard to find but I bet you could find some weeping willow, which will be even wetter, lower density, and stinkier. As a bonus it will be harder to split.

There's a big one in my mother-in-law's front yard. Hmm...

SolarAndWood said:

Looks good Solar, can't beat that mix of wood. After getting ahead on our wood supply our splits for the Liberty are much bigger than the first year, seems to like the bigger meal!

zap

Are you running your BK on 3 or 3.5 with those splits?I've got alot that size saving them for real cold weather.

Looks good solar.
The improvements you made on insulation & tightening up the house will pay you back every year forward.
I did same a few years back & can heat over 2200 sq ft with the king to 72° at temps -10°f & above.
Now have 30" + of attic insulation, sealed up some air leaks & other improvements.
12 - 14 hour burn times on high is about what I get with big splits & burning on 2.5. (but each systems draft & stat setting vary)
& you can't stand close to the front of the stove for very long.
But lots of big coals & chunks around noon, I rake & throw 3 med splits on, & then run another 6 hours to burn down the coals.
Hanging around 0° last 24 hours.

I have very small splits from our old stove because it was rather small inside and Dennis told me to put one large peice in the spot that burns the longest . Man was he right the new stove burns forever when loaded like that ! I love your pallet setup next to the splitter simple yet effective.

Pete

ohlongarm said:
Are you running your BK on 3 or 3.5 with those splits?I've got alot that size saving them for real cold weather.

I find max output, burn rate not heat from a load of wood, is at 3.25 with the blowers on high with my setup. 3.5 seems to just torch the wood faster with little added output.

bogydave said:
Looks good solar.
The improvements you made on insulation & tightening up the house will pay you back every year forward.
I did same a few years back & can heat over 2200 sq ft with the king to 72° at temps -10°f & above.
Now have 30" + of attic insulation, sealed up some air leaks & other improvements.
12 - 14 hour burn times on high is about what I get with big splits & burning on 2.5. (but each systems draft & stat setting vary)
& you can't stand close to the front of the stove for very long.
But lots of big coals & chunks around noon, I rake & throw 3 med splits on, & then run another 6 hours to burn down the coals.
Hanging around 0° last 24 hours.

Thanks Dave. Every improvement has made a noticeable difference in what it takes to heat the house. Getting the windward wall of the house felt/foamed/tyveked/sided this year is the biggest yet. The air penetration on that side of the house was brutal.

SolarAndWood said:
ohlongarm said:

I find max output, burn rate not heat from a load of wood, is at 3.25 with the blowers on high with my setup. 3.5 seems to just torch the wood faster with little added output.

Do the new bkk's have a dial that goes to 6?

lol, mine isn't new.

Grannyknot said:
Only thing I can hang my hat on so far this year is that I haven't heard the heat pump kick on once.
Got down to 8* the other night.

you and i are in the same boat...still trying to learn the stove just bought the house 5 months ago...girlfriend and i are constantly discussing how to make it better

looks good solar i have some nice oak split a little smaller than that i use on cold days a couple years old. next year will have some more oak like that 3 years old. only had one really cold night here so far this winter down to about 8 degrees. waiting for the cold.

Status
Not open for further replies.