Digging wood from beneath a tarp gets really old

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

btuser

Minister of Fire
Jan 15, 2009
Principality of Pontinha
I don't have a ton of room near my house to stack wood. Last winter I started with a 2 piles 4'x8'x4' of "seasoned" cord wood. Tough year to start here in the North East, when a decently seasoned cord of hardwood had a going rate of $400. The 1/2 assed lean-to I rigged up was crushed by the 2nd snowfall, then I was left to dig the smallest pieces out from beneath 2' of snow. That sucked. Never again.

I don't get a lot of sun, or wind in my chosen location (as close to the stove as possible) so I wanted maximum sun and wind exposure. What I came up with is pretty much a roof on stilts. I'm trying to maximize my storage capacity while minimizing the visual impact/town assessment/material cost. Similar to many other great ideas I stole from.

http://picasaweb.google.com/picassa104/WoodShed#5396300383431071042
http://picasaweb.google.com/picassa104/WoodShed#5396300375076628322
http://picasaweb.google.com/picassa104/WoodShed#5396300375815285778
http://picasaweb.google.com/picassa104/WoodShed#5396300372588730578

Total cost came out to be $311USD.The slope of the roof matches that of the surrounding area. I framed it with the intent of enclosing it some day as a solar kiln/owb room, depending if I get the chance to pick up a woodlot Totally stuffed it has room for just over 6 cords. I may end up with a gutter on the back with a rain barrel. The polycarbonate roof really does work. I've measured surface temps and the top wood is 5-10 degrees warmer than the same piece on the pile outside. the heat on the top supports convection, and if you light a smoke bomb and drop it close to the bottom pallets you can see it travel up through the whole stack. I'm very excited for some really bad weather.

EatenByLimestone said:
I'm reasonably certain the rain we're getting is heading in your direction.

HTH,

Matt

We've had over 1" today an another 1" at least before this is over. I checked with a IR thermometer, and there's a 15 degree differential between the dry top of the wood pile and the wet pile behind the shed. This could be better than a garage for my truck.

Cool idea, I would like to make some of those,looks pretty simple
and functional,I might try to beat the cost down a bit.
Was most of the cost in the clear panels? That type roof you made
has got me thinking hard about doing something like this.

The roof panels were bought from Lowes. For my small project they were the cheapest. They come in 8 and 12' sections. I cost just under $200 for the 10x16 roof, so if you count the savings in sheathing it wasn't too bad, but you just can't scrounge it up like plywood. The lumber is 2x6 and 2x8 PT, with 4x4 posts. Not really that beefy, I'm sure the 4x4s will start to twist in a few years, but I was trying to minimize the cost, and 6x6 posts would have cost an additional $100. The whole wood-burning thing has to pay for itself to make sense.

I've dropped some 80ft pines, and the master plan is to make friends with someone with a portable saw mill. Eventually, I'd like to place another row of glazing on the front, then enclose it for a real shed. Maybe a home for an OWB. One thing to mention is the polycarbonate panels do not take the heat, so a high themp solar kiln is out of the question. I'd be happy with a 30 degree differential, and a fan to keep it below 120F.

acrylic and pvc are gonna start getting soft long before polycarbonate.
Keep acetone away from it.

btuser said:
The roof panels were bought from Lowes. For my small project they were the cheapest. They come in 8 and 12' sections. I cost just under $200 for the 10x16 roof, so if you count the savings in sheathing it wasn't too bad, but you just can't scrounge it up like plywood. The lumber is 2x6 and 2x8 PT, with 4x4 posts. Not really that beefy, I'm sure the 4x4s will start to twist in a few years, but I was trying to minimize the cost, and 6x6 posts would have cost an additional $100. The whole wood-burning thing has to pay for itself to make sense.

I've dropped some 80ft pines, and the master plan is to make friends with someone with a portable saw mill. Eventually, I'd like to place another row of glazing on the front, then enclose it for a real shed. Maybe a home for an OWB. One thing to mention is the polycarbonate panels do not take the heat, so a high themp solar kiln is out of the question. I'd be happy with a 30 degree differential, and a fan to keep it below 120F.
Those polycarbonate panels will take more heat than you'll ever generate in your wood shed!

I just built a 10x12 same type as yours..Put rolled roofing on it istead have $180 in it so far...
Should get 6 cord in it...

Looks good -- more importantly, you'll like how it keeps the snow off the stacks this winter.

Bustin' splits out of a frozen stack with a sledge hammer in January 2 or 3 days before you'll need it to thaw out, gets old real quick, too. :)

I like the clear tops. I hope you don't need more snow shedding angle .

Huh...for 300 that a real nice shed btuser.

billb3 said:
Bustin' splits out of a frozen stack with a sledge hammer in January 2 or 3 days before you'll need it to thaw out, gets old real quick, too. :)

I like the clear tops. I hope you don't need more snow shedding angle .

It probably won't shed snow, but I still wanted to be able to stack/grab without hitting my head so I couldn't go any lower in the back. The front is almost 9' in one corner, that's about as high as I want to stack it. The ground has the same slope as the roof, and somehow when hung a string at that angle it kinda fit.

Looking at the design the only thing that i would add would be some gussets on the from and back like you have on the sides. Other than that that is great. Better than the tarp that im using.

4049176241_9c23bb056f.jpg

Out in the country you can get away with field expedient sheds. I took this pic to highlight the under/over lateral runs of rope to help lock down 'wind sail'. The chair is for foul weather hunting or the occasional cigar. Tarps are easier to deal with if you can drape them over a crude...but effective frame.

velvetfoot, sorry were you talking to me or the OP?

In the beginning snow use to be a show stopper but I keep making improvements based on experience. But the short story is...not where the tent rests against the wood. As I remove the wood a heavy snow can push the canopy in...but I try and manage that with the occasional snow raking.
3137365978_300d536c24.jpg

Also the positioning of diagonal ash limbs /// help the tarp bear the weight. Early spring is the worst time of year and we do have to make occasional repairs. All in all it works out for us cause we have 2 lean-to's we could store wood in but don't because of this...monstrosity. I don't want in any way to suggest this Cobb job is bullet proof... but I love it. Mostly cause all the wood underneath is just thrown up, not stacked. I absolutely despise stacking wood.

Interesting, thanks.
Hey the 'monstrosity' looks better with the snow on it!
I hate stacking too.

Stacking wood is definitively something I'm going to try to work around.

Status
Not open for further replies.