Digital cat monitor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Excavator

Feeling the Heat
Dec 18, 2011
Central NJ
I replaced my condar digital monitor last week after having problems with at temps. The monitor quit all together so I decided on trying the auber AT100 and using the 4 inch probe from the old condar.
I immediately noticed a great improvement in controlling the stove. Now I feel like I have different stove that performs well. I may have had a bad condor but the auger stays on all time and works great.

Last edited:
Patiently waiting for my at100 to arrive.

Auber makes some cool stuff!

Pics? Price? I'm in the market for a cat probe myself.

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=279

upload_-1.jpg
upload_-1.jpg
upload_-1.jpg

Last edited:
I replaced my condar digital monitor last week after having problems with at temps. The monitor quit all together so I decided on trying the auber AT100 and using the 4 inch probe from the old condar.
I immediately noticed a great improvement in controlling the stove. Now I feel like I have different stove that performs well. I may have had a bad condor but the auger stays on all time and works great.
In did this exact thing last year. Couldn't be happier. Only thing is that my second alarm won't work for some reason. The at100 makes the condar look like a piece of junk. Basically it is for what they are charging for it. Even their thermocouples are more expensive then aubers. Auber doesn't sell a 4" thermocoupler in the right heat range though.

In did this exact thing last year. Couldn't be happier. Only thing is that my second alarm won't work for some reason. The at100 makes the condar look like a piece of junk. Basically it is for what they are charging for it. Even their thermocouples are more expensive then aubers. Auber doesn't sell a 4" thermocoupler in the right heat range though.

Which thermocoupler did you buy?

Which thermocoupler did you buy?
I used the one that came with the condar I had. I believe auber has a six once probe that will work. I run a heat shield on my encore so a six inch won't work for me unless I drill a hole in it.

I use the 6". No heatshield here. It works great.

The at100 was a great purchase.

I use the 6". No heatshield here. It works great.

The at100 was a great purchase.
Which six inch did you buy? I need to get another set up for my Defiant.

I was recently at my cabin for a few days and decided to pull off the secondary cover due to the shutter vibrating during coaling stage for some reason. Lots of dust bunnies. To my surprise the shutter is slightly different. It still has the little stopper but instead of keeping the shutter open slightly it kept it from "going past center" and reopening on top. So it basically let it close all the way. Any other Defiant 1945 guys here who can confirm this?

I was recently at my cabin for a few days and decided to pull off the secondary cover due to the shutter vibrating during coaling stage for some reason. Lots of dust bunnies. To my surprise the shutter is slightly different. It still has the little stopper but instead of keeping the shutter open slightly it kept it from "going past center" and reopening on top. So it basically let it close all the way. Any other Defiant 1945 guys here who can confirm this?

Do you find the Defiant's burn times much better than the Encore?

Not sure about the shutter.

Do you find the Defiant's burn times much better than the Encore?

Not sure about the shutter.
I do feel like my Defiant can run longer then the encore. The Defiant is a monster stove compared to the encore. I didn't even fill the Defiant to the gills and I would easily have nice coals after 12 hours of burning.

I do feel like my Defiant can run longer then the encore. The Defiant is a monster stove compared to the encore. I didn't even fill the Defiant to the gills and I would easily have nice coals after 12 hours of burning.

Thanks

Buddy has one of them at his cottage (yes a monster). He refuses to load it up and let it cruise....
He feeds it one two splits every couple of hours. Despite me trying to educate him.....so I can't compare it the burn times.

I have a lead on a 1945 needing a cat etc. I am sure a full rebuild. For 250.00. I could have a nice monster for under 750.00. Thinking about it.

Thanks

Buddy has one of them at his cottage (yes a monster). He refuses to load it up and let it cruise....
He feeds it one two splits every couple of hours. Despite me trying to educate him.....so I can't compare it the burn times.

I have a lead on a 1945 needing a cat etc. I am sure a full rebuild. For 250.00. I could have a nice monster for under 750.00. Thinking about it.
I
Thanks

I like my 1945. I feel with a proper running stove and a full firebox of quality fuel, you should be able to reload around the sixteen hour mark.

Yeah, I was thinking same, around 16h based on the firebox size and the stove properly re-sealed.

Yeah, I was thinking same, around 16h based on the firebox size and the stove properly re-sealed.
I would do it. You are already familiar with the VC brand and all of its goofy quirks. For under $1000.00 you can have a great looking good heater.