Digital Cat Probe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mellow

Resident Stove Connoisseur
Jan 19, 2008
Salisbury, MD
With all the talk about digital temp probes I wanted to start a thread on one for Cat's, my issue so far is finding a K-type probe that is rated for 2000 degrees, which a cat can very easily attain.

The one I was looking at is made for a Kiln: http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=17&products_id=282

Now my question is if I insert that probe into my hole for my existing Condar probe could I put the ceramic sheath on in between the hole and the cat? I don't think I could fit that probe plus sheath through my existing hole without drilling it out. Hoping someone has gotten that probe before.

I had looked at the Condar digital probe but it will not allow for buzzer alarms at set temps.

With all the talk about digital temp probes I wanted to start a thread on one for Cat's, my issue so far is finding a K-type probe that is rated for 2000 degrees, which a cat can very easily attain.

The one I was looking at is made for a Kiln: http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=17&products_id=282

Now my question is if I insert that probe into my hole for my existing Condar probe could I put the ceramic sheath on in between the hole and the cat? I don't think I could fit that probe plus sheath through my existing hole without drilling it out. Hoping someone has gotten that probe before.

I had looked at the Condar digital probe but it will not allow for buzzer alarms at set temps.
http://www.omega.com/toc_asp/frameset.html?book=Temperature&file=SEL_GUIDE_THERMOCOUPLE

http://www.omega.com/ppt/pptsc.asp?ref=BARE_SH_DH_OV_ELEMENTS&Nav=tema02

Can you use this one? http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=20_3&products_id=22
It is rated fir 2000::F (same as the Condar digital monitor) .
I have this one on my flue (not has hot as a cat of course) and it works well.
The probe in your link seems a bit large in diameter (12mm vs 3 mm for the one above.)
The thermocouple wire can handle the heat but is limited by the insulation on the wire.. The problem is the temp control would probably go out of range with a probe inside the flue stack with a temp limit of 732 degrees F (400 degrees C)

Ray

The thermocouple wire can handle the heat but is limited by the insulation on the wire.. The problem is the temp control would probably go out of range with a probe inside the flue stack with a temp limit of 732 degrees F (400 degrees C)

The OP did not say which controller he is using or what the high limit is, certainly the controller would need a higher limit than 750::F to be useful for cat or flue temp measurement.

Are you perhaps mixing up threads with the one from
Scoby?

The OP did not say which controller he is using or what the high limit is, certainly the controller would need a higher limit than 750::F to be useful for cat or flue temp measurement.

Are you perhaps mixing up threads with the one from
Scoby?
Yes I think I got the temp control mixed up thanks for pointing this out ;) The part about the TC is correct though..

Ray

The controller is the one in the link I provided, I have an email into Auber asking what would be the best way to do this for a cat.
Yup that looks fine.. I posted what you need for a T\C.. Ceramic insulators can handle those temps easily..

Ray

Pm Joful. He shared a setup like you are looking for that was inexpensive.

Most K-type meters are suitable for 2500F, so you want to verify your meter has the range, but that's likely not a big problem. The wires are outside the heat envelope, so they're rarely the problem. The bottleneck is indeed the probe.

Any 1/16" 3/16 stainless probe is rated to roughly 1650F, and that's what I've been using, as I had center-drilled my access port screw plugs to that diameter. I have confirmed that they do indeed fail after several weeks at 1750F.

The OmegaCLAD probe sheath is rated to 1900F at 1/16" diameter, or 2100F at 1/8" diameter. Furthermore, moving the probe/wire transition further from the heat source improves durability. So, I'm going to try the TJ36-CCXL-116U-12-CC, a 12" long x 1/16" diameter K-type probe, with 36" fiberglass wire.

FWIW, the app's engineer at Omega had recommended a TJ36-CCXL-18U-6-CC, which is a 6" long x 1/8" diameter K-type probe, with 36" of fiberglass wire, but I'd really rather try to stick with my 1/16" pilot hole, if I can. I believe most commercial probes (Condar) are 1/4" diameter x 6" long, so a direct replacement for that would be TJ36-CCXL-14U-6-CC, if you already have the access hole drilled.

edit: I'm surprised Auber's probe handles 2000F. Others rate 1/16" Inconel probes at lower temperatures, typically 1700F.

Most K-type meters are suitable for 2500F, so you want to verify your meter has the range, but that's likely not a big problem. The wires are outside the heat envelope, so they're rarely the problem. The bottleneck is indeed the probe.

Any 1/16" 3/16 stainless probe is rated to roughly 1650F, and that's what I've been using, as I had center-drilled my access port screw plugs to that diameter. I have confirmed that they do indeed fail after several weeks at 1750F.

The OmegaCLAD probe sheath is rated to 1900F at 1/16" diameter, or 2100F at 1/8" diameter. Furthermore, moving the probe/wire transition further from the heat source improves durability. So, I'm going to try the TJ36-CCXL-116U-12-CC, a 12" long x 1/16" diameter K-type probe, with 36" fiberglass wire.

FWIW, the app's engineer at Omega had recommended a TJ36-CCXL-18U-6-CC, which is a 6" long x 1/8" diameter K-type probe, with 36" of fiberglass wire, but I'd really rather try to stick with my 1/16" pilot hole, if I can. I believe most commercial probes (Condar) are 1/4" diameter x 6" long, so a direct replacement for that would be TJ36-CCXL-14U-6-CC, if you already have the access hole drilled.

edit: I'm surprised Auber's probe handles 2000F. Others rate 1/16" Inconel probes at lower temperatures, typically 1700F.
Just like electrical wire the insulation dictates what the metal can handle.. Use ceramic insulation and you will be fine.. Ceramics can handle intense heat..

Ray

I guess we will find out, went ahead and placed the order.

Cool. I just ordered two of the OmegaCLAD XL's in 1/16". Are you using yours for cat temp or flue temp?

Just like electrical wire the insulation dictates what the metal can handle.. Use ceramic insulation and you will be fine.. Ceramics can handle intense heat..

True, but in this case, it's the metal! We're talking about the metal probe sheath, 316 stainless vs. Inconel vs. OmegaClad, not the wire insulation. The wire insulation is fiberglass, in either case.

Cool. I just ordered two of the OmegaCLAD XL's in 1/16". Are you using yours for cat temp or flue temp?

True, but in this case, it's the metal! We're talking about the metal probe sheath, 316 stainless vs. Inconel vs. OmegaClad, not the wire insulation. The wire insulation is fiberglass, in either case.
Metal probe sheath is fine it is the insulating material of this sheath that is the concern.. More than likely you're fine..

Ray

This is going to replace my Condar cat temp probe. I would like to be able to keep a closer eye on how my cat functions while sitting on the couch watching tv, I will probably set the high temp alarm for 1900 degrees.
I would want to know if my cat hit 1450+ and even this is excessive.. Anything higher than this is too hot for normal operation..

Ray

I would want to know if my cat hit 1450+ and even this is excessive.. Anything higher than this is too hot for normal operation..

Ray
Ran a cat stove for 25 years.. The condar probe spells this out along with many owners manuals.. 1750 is not normal operating temp for a cat..

Not my Condar probe: 1700 starts to get in the too hot zone.
5cn-3-142-xlg.jpg

Not my Condar probe: 1700 starts to get in the too hot zone.
Exactly 1750 is too hot your pic show this.. Not normal to run at 1700 I hate to tell you..

Ray

It might be because mine is a newer cat but it will purr at 1750-1800 when I load it full for the night, with all the air shut down. Now that you mention it maybe I should set the high temp at 1800 just in case.

Or maybe my probe is off? Guess I will find out with this new one.

You been drinkin' again, ol' Ray? ;lol

Metal probe sheath is fine it is the insulating material of this sheath that is the concern.. More than likely you're fine..

Omega lists a 300 degree difference between their various metal probe sheaths, even with the same wire type inside.

I would want to know if my cat hit 1450+ and even this is excessive.. Anything higher than this is too hot for normal operation...

My stove manual agrees with my cat manual, operation up to 1800F is normal. Mine usually runs 1650F - 1750F for the first few hours of the burn.

Anything above 1400 would get my attention.. A new cat will run hotter for sure but that is short lived from my experience.. Generally I saw around 1400 for high temps after this then cruised between 600-1000 degrees..

Ray

You been drinkin' again, ol' Ray? ;lol

Omega lists a 300 degree difference between their various metal probe sheaths, even with the same wire type inside.

My stove manual agrees with my cat manual, operation up to 1800F is normal. Mine usually runs 1650F - 1750F for the first few hours of the burn.
Yup a few beers but I do understand thermocouples and work with them in much hotter temps.. Insulation is what dictates how much heat the probe can handle the same as regular electrical wire however copper cannot handle what a T\C can withstand.. ;)

Ray