Ding! Round two...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DAKSY

Full Time RVer
Staff member
Dec 2, 2008
Wherever we're parked
Happy Thanksgiving, pellet heads. We've put maybe 20 bags thru the P61 & since we don't hafta be to dinner for another couple of hours, decided to go thru it for the first cleaning since start-up. It DID help that it ran dry earlier this AM, & it had cooled down somewhat. Brushed, scraped, vacuumed everything, cleared out the fines box & dumped a nearly full ash pan. Took a whole 30 minutes from locating the tools, performing the procedure & putting the tools away. It's buttoned back up & has 1.5 bags of Cleanfire Softwoods in the hopper. Good for another month...

Reactions: bags and webfish
Planning on waiting until next week just before we get into the colder temps ... That puts off the next cleaning until shortly after Christmas...

started burning mid October......
emptied the ash pan once so far......
luv that Harman P Huge ashpan..
Ash pan on the Elena maxes out in two days of steady burn ... which is my main complaint of the stove.

Been burning on room temp mode, a dozen bags or so. Haven't done any cleaning, just scraping the burn pot every other day. Probably give it a once over this weekend. I didn't run room temp last year and like it a lot! Here's to a safe, trouble free burn season!

I've honestly only run the pellet boiler once this season, just to see if it works, using oil instead. Good thing I have 6 tons of pellets on pallets in the basement and another ton in the bin, lol. Maybe I'll run it enough to use up the bin. My timing on the boiler wasn't ideal.

The wood insert has been running non stop of late, with smaller loads when the weather gets a little warm. That gets cleaned once a year whether it needs it or not.

We have burned maybe 21 bags so far this season but I started the stove early for us, late Sept. I started with a partial filled ash pan though but now have dumped it once. The ash pan dumping is off cycle compared to cleanings. The stove is due for cleaning this weekend, at least the ignitor compartment clean out etc., maybe not a full cleaning yet.

I discovered that the TSC Blue lettered/ white bag pellets are very good. Slightly better I think, than FSU, at least in regards to clean fire, lighter ash color . Heat might be about the same. So I'm going to run those for a while here and better determine what I think of them, so far so good.

Last edited:
We have burned maybe 21 bags so far this season but I started the stove early for us, late Sept. I started with a partial filled ash pan though but now have dumped it once. The ash pan dumping is off cycle compared to cleanings. The stove is due for cleaning this weekend, at least the ignitor compartment clean out etc., maybe not a full cleaning yet.

I discovered that the TSC Blue lettered/ white bag pellets are very good. Slightly better I think, than FSU, at least in regards to clean fire, lighter ash color . Heat might be about the same. So I'm going to run those for a while here and better determine what I think of them, so far so good.
I was pleasantly surprised when I walked into my local TSC to grab something and saw Somersets in the entry way on sale for $199 per ton. I grabbed two tons because it's a good deal. I am stocked up but may go get some more. Plus my TSC is close by.

The last couple of years they've had junky pellets.

I was pleasantly surprised when I walked into my local TSC to grab something and saw Somersets in the entry way on sale for $199 per ton. I grabbed two tons because it's a good deal. I am stocked up but may go get some more. Plus my TSC is close by.

The last couple of years they've had junky pellets.
Last years pellets there were lousy, plus they sat around and got water damaged. Last year HD was beating them out on price just enough ( the stores are practically across the street from each other) but this year TSC seems to have caught on and are beating HD on the bag price , about the same per ton though.. The girl at TSC said that she alone has sold about 50 tons this fall and that she just works mornings. She also has sold two pellet stoves, she said.

Reactions: bags
I was ready to buy three tons of pellets from TSC this fall but after assessing the water damage in the first ton I canceled out on the other two. The store manager told me he had pellets in stock that were over a year old! And of course they're all sitting out exposed to the elements. Why they didn't clear them out last spring is beyond me.

TSC is notorious around here for poor quality pellet brands and storing outside. Fortunately Somersets are wrapped and covered well and that is what they happened to have. They had Sets there about 3-4 years ago but junk since. Now all they have is Sets.

Orschlen another place like TSC has Greenways at $213 a ton after tax. Many per ton prices are better here this year because they got stuck last year. That said HD and Lowe's are higher or the same as last year being a big box having standard pricing across the board. I'll be checking in with them this spring. They don't seem to be moving much from what I've seen which is good for me.

Since they're moving Indecks and Ozark Hardwoods from 2015 at my local store, I don't expect to see Somersets there anytime soon. Most of their stock is Ozarks, a very low-rent substitute for Sets.

Status
Not open for further replies.