Dinner For Tonight (Smoked Pork)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

certified106

Minister of Fire
Oct 22, 2010
Athens, Ohio
Got this thing coated with mustard and the rub on last night threw it in the fridge and hit it with another layer of rub on right before I fired the smoker up at 5am and threw this 9.5 lb pork butt on at 6. It's gonna be a long time til 6 tonight!

Got this thing coated with mustard and the rub on last night threw it in the fridge and hit it with another layer of rub on right before I fired the smoker up at 5am and threw this 9.5 lb pork butt on at 6. It's gonna be a long time til 6 tonight!

[
Looks like it will be very good.

swampy

What time should we be there this evening (for a good seat at the table)? ;)

aw...your pork puts my mac n cheese to shame cert......o_O
Your wife must be one happy camper with all the good stuff you make...:)

aw...your pork puts my mac n cheese to shame cert......o_O
Your wife must be one happy camper with all the good stuff you make...:)

Yup she sure is LUCKY to have me at least that is what I keep telling her........:D

Reactions: Gasifier
Wow, that looks good 106. What are you having with it?

There's no way you guys would see me waking up at 5AM to cook food!. I had to get up at 7 today to head into work and even that wasn't fun... I usually work 3PM-11PM.

So I pulled it off the grill and here are the pics. It was 202° internal temps and took right at 11 hours to get to temp. I posted a picture of where the thermo probe was at by the butt and I tested it in boiling water after the cook and it is pretty accurate 209 in boiling water. The butt is wrapped in foil/towel and in the cooler for an hour. The sauce is cooking right now and I threw the beans on the Kamado to cook.

Reactions: Lighting Up and zap
I need smellivison. It looks awesome. Does the Kamado have a gasket on the lid for a good seal? Nice job. I betcha that will pull apart nicely.

Certified, my Dad used to do a lot of cooking in the Kamodo. We LOVED it, best food ever. Gotta go, salivating all over the keyboard...

Oh wow that looks amazing

brownie smoker.JPG

Gotta take some pics of butts and chickens coming out of the redneck smoker sometime. Heated the house for 21 years so I can't tell ya what the smoker cost. But 14 hours and the butts are melt in your mouth. Four butts and six chickens in aluminum broiler pans in the drawers are heaven on a plate later.

Hopefully not all at once! Do you freeze them afterward?

Certified,
You got the cooler post cooking thing down.
A friend taught me that 10yrs ago, he cooked on a big smoker. He said ribs, 3-4hrs on smoker remove and throw straight into a cooler, the residual heat will cook them through and fall off the bone moist.

A side note, I've been sifting my coals from my ash can and using it on my repurposed gas grill converted to carcoal grill, they seem to burn much cooler than regular charcoal keeping consistent 200-225F temps for ~6hrs. Slow cooked some chicken legs ~2hrs last night and they were tender and tasty good with the help from a few hickory limbs laying near by.

Reactions: certified106
View attachment 63377
Gotta take some pics of butts and chickens coming out of the redneck smoker sometime. Heated the house for 21 years so I can't tell ya what the smoker cost. But 14 hours and the butts are melt in your mouth. Four butts and six chickens in aluminum broiler pans in the drawers are heaven on a plate later.
BB that kicks A$$!! that would fit right in here at the house, beside my maple stove! Yer brewin up another idea in my brain, the wife is NOT GONNA LIKE IT EITHER!!:rolleyes:

Hopefully not all at once! Do you freeze them afterward?

Yeah. I only fire it up twice a year. Spring for the Summer's stuff and Fall for the Winter larder.

BB that kicks A$$!! that would fit right in here at the house, beside my maple stove! Yer brewin up another idea in my brain, the wife is NOT GONNA LIKE IT EITHER!!:rolleyes:

I am gonna have to move the 650 pound beast. Originally it was hidden behind the wood stacks. Now that I built the wood shed it is sitting out in open view.

I am gonna have to move the 650 pound beast. Originally it was hidden behind the wood stacks. Now that I built the wood shed it is sitting out in open view.
Ah, let it there. I like it as it sits! I can almost smell that food when you first open that door up after a 10 hr cook!!!! Finally, a legitimately good use for the ol' smoke dragon!

View attachment 63377

That is pretty cool! you will have to post some pics of that thing fired up and the finished product!

I need smellivison. It looks awesome. Does the Kamado have a gasket on the lid for a good seal? Nice job. I betcha that will pull apart nicely.

.It was AWESOME
whoo.gif
thumb.gif
!!!! It was so tender and juicy that it just about fell apart when you poked it with a fork. The bark on the outside was thick and you could see a nice smoke ring! My wife said she doesn't care to get pulled pork at a restaurant and my sister and her husband decided they think we should cook this for every holiday meal from now on....... Here is the only shot I have of it right as it was getting pulled. Next time I will do more so I can freeze some for later use in dishes.

View attachment 63377

Humm...is that a file box on top of a stove...?

Status
Not open for further replies.