Dipped into the honey hole

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TimJ

Minister of Fire
Apr 10, 2012
Southeast Indiana
I have a large tree down in the woods. It has been laying there at least 15 years. I took some slabs off of it about 4 years or so ago and it burned like a hot piece of coal. Better than the white oak I have been burning. It would have laid there another 15 years if I wasn't so overly motivated with getting ahead and burning seasoned wood. This whole time I thought it was a big piece of beech,but after I got it home and split a piece, I have decided it is red oak. How this piece could lay there so long and not rot I don't know. In some places it was two inches in the ground. There is evidence of ants but they have not gotten very far. I bounced the maul off of two pieces before the third one split. It will be a hard job in front of me but it will get done. I would say I have a piece 20 feet long and 30 inches or so in diameter. I'll get a nice pile out of it. red oak split.jpg

Nice, save that for January, & all that hard work will be a memory you'll enjoy when it's 75 inside, & 20 out. A C

Reactions: Realstone
Definetly Red or Black Oak.Great stuff.Normally not very decay resistant,but sometimes you'd be surprised how long it'll last on the ground.Especially if it was a live tree that blew over.Gives it a few more years to stay around since it has to dry out first.From April-December 2011 I cut 10+ cords of that stuff,standing snags & deadfall.Some was a bit soft,depending on its size & how long it was down,but most looked like yours - super hard,dry w/ tight grain.Really rough on chains too,but worth the effort.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Just wondering, after all those years did it lose most of its moisture even though it was uncut & unsplit? Ya know, by the 'ol hand wetness tests: heft, sound and smell?

Reactions: Thistle
There is no decay on this whatsoever, but I have learned most of you know what you are talking about. I drove a wedge in the center of a round and you could see the moisture coming out. Even though this tree has been down for so long, I will listen to Thistle and burn it no less than two years from now. I am getting ahead on my wood pretty fast. I have alot of oak and hickory css that I won't be touching this year.

Premium fire wood!
Lots of BTUs.
Took a strong guy with a good back to put that round in the truck, be careful, keep the good back ;)

Reactions: maplewood
I'm surprised, too, that it didn't rot.
Any ants still in there, or have they moved out?
Glad to see others still splitting with a maul.

I don't think the ants will move until I get it all split. Hated to bring it back to the house. I have lost a number of trees due to ants.

I had some stuff that was to big for one of my loggers to haul for anything. Took a friends Dumptruck to get it. It was so big that it would not cut all the way through with my ms390 and a 20" bar. It was close enough to break it with a maul or just wedging something in there. I could barely more the rounds, not paid much attention but they must be around 36"s in diameter. I had about 24 feet or so. One was a red oak another a white oak. The last 7 feet or so of the red was hollow about 8"s in diamer to 20"s at the base?

That's some good wood right there! I hope you don't bust your back whackin' those into splits! :eek:

Third load from the honey hole. No rot at all

Quite shocked myself. Anything I would come across like that would be dust.

KC

I've found plenty of downed oak in our woods that looks like junk but is untouched inside. It seems like the outer 2" rots away totally really quickly (2 to 3 years?) but the inner heart wood is really resistant to it. I bucked a fallen oak, which fell in the great storm of 1986, last autumn. Lovely looking wood; it split beautifully and, being suspended just a few inches off the ground for most of it's length, sections of it were dry enough to add to this coming winter's pile.

Status
Not open for further replies.