*dips toe in pellet pool*

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mhambi

Burning Hunk
Sep 10, 2010
UT
This forum scares me. ;lol

Ok, not really, but as a long time 'normal' wood burner I haven't ventured here often. Well, that's all about to change! Shortly I'll be receiving my shipment of an AMFM refurb PAH. It's going to take the place of a RMH experiment I did for a class. (that's a whole other thread) And talk about quick turnaround... I got a 'shipped' notification about 4 hours after I had placed my order! I'll post pics of the install as it progresses

Currently I heat solely w/ wood. A KozyHeat Z42 in the main level great room, and an Englander Wood Furnace in the basement tied into the ducts. 10" log construction. The PAH is going in the kitchen/dining room. So on the main floor I'm looking at around ~1000 between the kitchen/dining/great room area, and another 400 upstairs in the loft. (blue shaded area) I'm not above cutting some vents to allow heat up there, but I don't think I'll need to. The other side of the house the downstairs stove can handle.

331h8w1.jpg

Now I just need to find something to feed it... any UT/ID/CO/WY pellet burners have any preferences? Anyway, looking forward to learning from all you experts!

Reactions: Countryboymo
I am sure you will be pleased. Don't forget to try multiple brands of pellets to see what works best for you and do not leave out the softwoods because in this genre of wood burning softies usually burn hotter with noticeably less ash in many stoves.

No crosshairs on Bugs. Little buggers are coming out of the woodwork to eat the horses hay around here. Last one wasn't worth skinning was so small. Welcome to the world of automated wood heat.

This forum scares me. ;lol

Ok, not really, but as a long time 'normal' wood burner I haven't ventured here often. Well, that's all about to change! Shortly I'll be receiving my shipment of an AMFM refurb PAH. It's going to take the place of a RMH experiment I did for a class. (that's a whole other thread) And talk about quick turnaround... I got a 'shipped' notification about 4 hours after I had placed my order! I'll post pics of the install as it progresses

Currently I heat solely w/ wood. A KozyHeat Z42 in the main level great room, and an Englander Wood Furnace in the basement tied into the ducts. 10" log construction. The PAH is going in the kitchen/dining room. So on the main floor I'm looking at around ~1000 between the kitchen/dining/great room area, and another 400 upstairs in the loft. (blue shaded area) I'm not above cutting some vents to allow heat up there, but I don't think I'll need to. The other side of the house the downstairs stove can handle.

331h8w1.jpg
I'm not caring for hardwood blends in my Harman particularly. I'm still buying a few bags of this and that trying them all out for my P61. I've come down to advertised .5 ash or less, high BTU pellets and softwood preferred with DF ( Douglas Fir) at the top of the list. I like the all Spruce, Pointe brand as well, 8700 BTU per lb, fairly clean burning. So when you find a supply of pellets try them all and see what burns right for you.

I'm trying Energex next and maybe LG ( LG are premium low ash 8700 btu .39 ash according to their web site).

Good luck with your new addition !!

Last edited:
You are more than a toe dipped in! You have dove into the pool completely!

Bill

Welcome to the wonderful world of the pellet stove.

We have been doing this gig since 91-92 season and been through several stoves.

We currently have 3 in the house.

As mentioned, try the different brands and see what works best for you.

We use hazelnut shells in our 2 Whitfields and whatever we can find in the way of cheap pellets in our Quadrafire 1000.

Pellet heat is all the best of wood heat, WITHOUT THE BUGS :)

Looking forward to seeing your install

Snowy

Welcome. I too am like you burning both firewood and pellets. You'll notice that burning pellets is easier on the back, but the stove needs more attention (maintenance wise), and the wood stove burns much hotter. However, I'm 45 and I'm thinking within the next 10 years the wood stove in the basement will be replaced with a pellet stove. I'd rather sling bags of pellets in August than going for firewood in -10 degrees and 10 inches of snow in January.

Edit: Also you don't "live for the stove" with a pellet stove either.

Last edited:
Thanks for the welcome everyone!

Anyone ever paint their stove? Stove Bright, Thermolux etc? It's a fairly squarish/plain stove. I kind of like the look, but... a little color might dress it up.

nvs507.jpg

Welcome to the pellet world. No problem with painting your stove just get good quality high temp paint. Many of the European steel stoves are dressed up with color...

Oh, Go with the beige!

Status
Not open for further replies.