Direct Temp vent install questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

michaelma9

Oct 20, 2008
Portland, OR
Hi all,

I'm planning on getting our first pellet stove soon and installing it myself (Summers Heat 55-SHP10L).

I decided to use Direct Temp pipe (hard to find, even on the internet) in the up and out config.

My main question is how the thimble is attached to the outside wall where I have cement board siding. First, is the DT thimble circular or square? I'm pretty sure the inner hole is cut circular (any tips on cutting a 6 5/8"+ hole?) but what about the outside? Do I have to cut siding back around the through hole? If so how what do you usually use and how do you prevent yourself from cutting too deep?

Do you need to frame around the DT thimble? If so how do you do it with just a 6" hole to work in?

I have the usual tools, jigsaw, sawzall, circular saw...

I've seen instructions on vinyl siding but not the Hardiplank stuff.

Thanks,
Mike

Oh! I have been looking for a direct temp up and out kit (or the parts therein). Mind sharing where you found it? I think I stumbled across it a week or so ago, but alas, I cannot find it again.

And for the hole, in drywall I'd say a rotozip would do a good job. DH has a cool tool to cut perfect circles in drywall, but its some fancy electrician tool for cutting out for recessed lights (and it was a wedding gift *roll eyes*).

Well I found the kit on Amazon.com and the lengths of pipe on homeclick.com, crazy how hard it is to find. Hope its worth it.

Thanks for the rotozip idea.

Mike

I just used my drywall saw, push into your out line mark and start sawing.

My main concern is cutting the cement board siding. Will I need anything special for cutting that?

Do most people not need to frame the thimble hole?

Mike

Well, a rotozip with a carbide or tile bit shohuld go through cement board. A dremel probably would too, if you have one of those available, but would be slower. When I looked at the direct teno on amazon (thats for the tip!), the thimble looks round, but why not wait until you have it in hand with the instructions to see. No sense cutting holes in your house when yuo don't have the thimble yet. As for the rest of your question, obviously I can't really speak to them since we haven't done anything yet :)

Got the kit today, although they sent the horizontal exit kit, not the up and out. I can say the thimble is square on the outside and round on the inside and the diameter of the hole you will need to cut in the wall is almost 9"!
I need to send this one back now.

Mike

Swing it like a Ninja.

Eric

Attachments

• P1040415.JPG
    P1040415.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 287
Status
Not open for further replies.