1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Direct tv customers......

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by Jack Straw, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Jack Straw

Jack Straw Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Schoharie County, N Y
    We just received our bill, the monthly fee increased by $3 and there is a $2 monthly regional sports fee now. I called Direct tv and said I would pay the $3 increase, but there was no way I would pay the $2 sports fee. After I threatened to switch to Dish Network they finally agreed to drop the $2 fee for the next 12 months.......I know what I will be doing a year from now.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Jack Fate

Jack Fate Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northwest Ohio
    Put up an antenna !

Watch out when you cancel they will make every attempt to hose you out of every last dime they can!

Carefully read your contract about canceling

Good luck

10 yrs free of pay tv =$5000. ( that's a lot of really nice saws )
    Jack Straw likes this.
  3. muncybob

muncybob Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Near Williamsport, PA
    It use to be if you called to say you were switching to another source they would bend over backwards to keep you. Last time I called saying this they abruptly asked what date do you want to terminate....end of conversation. I am going to seriously look into a tall mast and antenna and use hulu, netflix or amazon to fill the void since imho most of network tv sux and that's about all I can get with an antenna.
  4. Woody Stover

Woody Stover Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern IN
  5. bmblank

bmblank Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    I'm not interested in the honey boo boos and duck dynasties of the world. OTA is good enough for me.
  6. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    We are stuck wit DirecTv. OTA is non-existent out here and my wife, being an invalid, needs the thing. The exact same thing that is $67 after this increase started as $29.
  7. nate379

nate379 Guest

I didn't notice it going up. Was $55 last bill I paid anyhow.

Don't have OTA here either. They ran cable lines out here last year but cable costs more with less channels.
  8. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

Really gets me that they give away all the little services you pay extra for to the new subscribers.

75% of what we watch isn't available OTA (especially true for me) and I gotta admit, for someone working my schedule (11pm to 7am) DVR is a godsend. Plus it automatically records shows for me, only 1st run episodes, and and I can leave 'em on there until the busy times of my life pass and I have a few minutes to watch TV. :p

Best part of Satellite over Cable? When the power goes out, so does the cable, generally. Satellite (and OTA) works as long as the genny does. >>
  9. bmblank

bmblank Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    You have access to cable but not OTA? if i wanted cable (mostly for internet) if have to pay them to run it another 2.5 miles or so. Ota should be available everywhere. You may need to spend $150 on an antenna and preamp, but that's a drop in the bucket compared to the monthly for dish or cable.
    Just as a note, my dad is in Manistee, MI and can pick up channels from milwaukee, WI most days. Its a rare occurrence that OTA is just plain unavailable.
  10. nate379

nate379 Guest

Never turned on the TV while on gen power. I wouldn't consider it on my $$$ living room TV, though the small one in the bedroom, I wouldn't cry if it kicked the bucket.

11. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

Yeah, no high-dollar sets here. And if I had a nice one, you can bet there would be some power conditioning equipment to go with it. Seems that the built in power supplies are the weak points on today's TV's.
  12. BrotherBart

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    There is $300 worth of stuff up there with amp and everything. Zip reception. Hard to get above or through 100 foot trees.
  13. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

That's what the saw is for. ;)

DirectTV installer said we wouldn't get a satisfactory signal because of trees blocking LOS to the bird. I pulled out the saw, and said, "Which ones?" I think he damn near wet himself. ;lol
  14. BrotherBart

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    The sat is fine. It is his suggestion that OTA is so easy that isn't true here. I ain't cutting a 45 mile hole through the woods between here and the towers.
    PapaDave and firefighterjake like this.
  15. Hogwildz

Hogwildz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Next to nuke plant Berwick, PA.
    My Direct TV bill is about $75.00 a month now. Not going to air, to hell with that. I need my FX shows
  16. Jack Fate

Loc:
    Northwest Ohio
    I get NBC,CBS,ABC ,FOX x2 and 3 PBS CHANNELS total of 38 channels not including all the religious stations.

I also have a couple DVR 's & twin tuner in CPU so I can record & time shift with the best of them . And NO monthly fees

If I had a rotor I could get about 18 more ( rotor failure rate too hi & so is where it is ! )

You may find you can get a lot more than you think. I live50+ mi from closest city

Check out that TV fool link
  17. Jack Fate

Loc:
    Northwest Ohio
  18. CodyWayne718

CodyWayne718 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Kentucky
    What is OTA?
  19. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

Over The Air (Old School TV broadcast signals)
  20. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Over The Air (antenna reception)
  21. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    'Cept digitally.
  22. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

True. Amazed at my gradfather in-law's OTA reception. He lives in the Boston metro area and his picture is razor sharp, zero fuzz, and he doesn't have to speak Korean to understand the dialog.
  23. BrotherBart

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    All I would watch is news and the weather. Ain't building a 40' tower for that. All available on the Internet.
  24. nate379

nate379 Guest

I checked the TV fool link and 2 channels.

I watch Discovery, History, USA, Spike, Nat Geo... bout it.
  25. BrotherBart

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Get an antenna and watch Russian TV. >>
    Don Williams and MasterMech like this.