Q&A Direct Vent Basement installation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I plan to install a direct vent fireplace (USSC Cavalier) in a basement location. The proposed vent path has several bends that would require 90 degree 45 deg elbows. I am hoping to find a flexible type vent that would make this installation easier. The vent needs to accommodate both the cold air supply and the hot air exhaust (dual pipe). Are there any manufacturers of this type of venting equipment?? Also, is it practical to direct vent into an attached garage

Answer:

Pretty much, NO , NO and No.
You cannot vent into a garage
You cannot make more than the allotted (in the manual) turns of the pipe.
I do not know of any generic bendable Direct vent Piping. Only the materials specified in the manual are allowed to be used in the installation.

11/2007 Majestic makes a flexible DV pipe suitable for use with some of their units however this is only to be used in short rear vent type of applications.

Status
Not open for further replies.