Direct Vent Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BeeTeeYou

Apr 12, 2009
Boston-Central Maine
I'm interested in a Hearthstone Tudor Gas stove. The area where I would like to install the stove would require me to go up eight or ten feet then out through the sidewall. Is this possible with this stove? Thanks for any Info.
Howie

Hey, BeeTeeYou!

<>I'm interested in a Hearthstone Tudor Gas stove. The area where I would like to install the stove would require me to go up eight or ten feet then out through the sidewall. Is this possible with this stove? Thanks for any Info.<>

I don't see why it wouldn't work the way you want to do it,
but is there a reason you hafta go so high before going thru the wall?
IMHO, that amount of venting wouldn't be too aesthetically pleasing on the Tudor,
but what do I know?
If I had to run that much vent on the Tudor, I'd probably box it in to hide it...

The vent would end up on the side of the building where the snow slides off the roof so it has to be high off the ground. The building is kind of stuck in the side of a hill. So the first ten feet of wall is actually concrete and backfilled against. A foot or so higher I could go through conventional wood framing rather than core a large hole through the foundation. I too think that boxing the flu into the wall would work nice, especially in a corner installation. It's a new build and I'm getting ready to do the sidewall this season. Would be nice to fit those vents in while that's happening. Here's a rendition of the building I made to help design it and another shot of my Buddy Russ getting ready to sink his teeth into some timber. See what I mean about the concrete walls?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v141/reelkarma/Home.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v141/reelkarma/ReadytoGo.jpg

make sure you run that stove befor you box it in elbows can leak and i would not want to have to rip it all back down just to change an elbow but after you are sure it runs box away

Great Idea, I'll be having a Pro install the stoves when the time comes.. Get a better nights sleep knowing it was done right. Still looking at stoves. I'm looking at the Napoleon Castlemore now. They have a lot of detailed information about the flu specs. Looks like I might core through the concrete wall. Anybody know what size hole I need for a 7"-4" tube? I do know enough to keep these vents high off the ground. Here's a pic of my Neighbors house after a few dustings. They have a direct vent. I'm sure they check on it all the time.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v141/reelkarma/Augman0027-1.jpg

core a 8 inch or 9 inch hole it better to have some slop you can fill back in then to have someone trying to jam the pipe threw and crushing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.