1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Direct vent vs chimney

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by Dana B, Apr 5, 2013.

1. Dana B

Dana B Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    So. New Hampshire
    I am currently considering purchasing a Hamrann PB105 which I know cna be direct vented. I do however have two unused flues in my chimney. They were inspected last year and I was told they were in decent condition as they have never bene used (house is only 12 years old)

So which is better with a pellet boiler and why? Direct vent or through a chimney?

Thanks guys

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. briansol

briansol Minister of Fire

Loc:
    central ct
    Chimneys should still have liners in most cases, and required in most areas by code. If you have the open flue, its probably better from an aesthetic point of view. but cleaning a simple through the wall pipe is usually easier (and easier to install if you aren't going all the way up too)
  3. smoke show

smoke show Guest

;lol
    Defiant and will711 like this.
  4. will711

will711 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Pocono mts.
    ;lol;lol
    Defiant and smoke show like this.
  5. Defiant

Defiant Vermont Castings Geek

Loc:
    Old Lyme CT
    ;lol;lol;lol
    will711 and smoke show like this.
  6. john193

john193 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southeast PA
    Yes, most codes require you to have a chimney liner.
  7. smoke show

smoke show Guest

:p
    will711 and Defiant like this.
  8. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

The Harman name is the Holy Frail here..... So the spelling Hamrann is a little but of a play on words. I call them Hormone. But, for those that own one, they are sensitive (some, not you £oe)

Welcome to the forums. As for the liner. I would highly recommend one. That large clay lined chimney will need to heat up before it starts to pull the gases out. Which may play hell on the vacuum switch. I would make the vent as short as possible. Direct vent in my opinion.
    iceguy4 and Defiant like this.
  9. iceguy4

iceguy4 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Upstate, NY

X2 as for direct vent...as for us being sensitive...NOT we just feel sorry for the "little people" ...Only kidding:ZZZLOL
  10. Lowarea

Lowarea New Member

Loc:
    Horseheads NY
    I needed to use a chimney that was in great shape, I had really no other choice.. My dealer, who I'm quite impressed with, suggested that venting into a chimney would work around 80% of the time. After finding this forum and doing a lot of reading, I decided on a 4" liner right from the start. It burned great and never a worry. The only thing I haven't solved is an OAK. Next season!
  11. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

Install one. You wont he sorry! :)
  12. Don2222

Don2222 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Salem NH
    Check out the Selkirk DT chimney kit (called Masonry conversion kit) with the built in OAK. it works with your 4" liner, I have one and there is nothing better.
    The vacuum cleanout is cool too!

Attached Files:

13. MarkF48

MarkF48 Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Central MA
    I have my Harman XXV vented into an 8" clay lined chimney flue I had used for a wood stove. The XXV manual stated this could be done, the dealer gave the OK, and the building inspector said no problem. It's been operating with this chimney for 2 years now. Check the manual for your stove as well as ask the dealer and building inspector to see if the existing flue would be appropriate.

Attached Files: