1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Direct vent window clearance?

Post in 'It's a Gas!' started by FanMan, Mar 30, 2012.

1. FanMan

FanMan Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    CT stix & upstate NY
    Got a question on DV window clearances...

According to most of what I've found, the required clearance from a DV outlet to a window is 12" (though some specify less). My question is, is it 12" from the pipe centerline or from the edge (and if the edge, where, because the termination cap sizes vary)? Reason I'm asking is because I'm considering an installation where there is 24" between windows, but it's a perfect place for a gas stove.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. thechimneysweep

thechimneysweep Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Bellingham, WA
    The spec applies to openable windows only, and requires 12" from the edge of the cap to the edge of the window opening. Duravent's horizontal DV cap is 14" wide, so you need 19" from the centerline of your exit pipe to the nearest edge of a door or window opening, or 38" between your two openable windows. One workaround, if you don't need the windows for ventilation, is to remove them and replace them with non-openable windows (nailing them shut won't appease the code inspector).
  3. FanMan

FanMan Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    CT stix & upstate NY
    Thanks... not what I wanted to hear, but what I expected to hear. Oh well... more I think about it the room is probably too small for the stove I had in mind anyway.
  4. A1Stoves.com

A1Stoves.com Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern CA
    they do have a cap that is 8" if high winds are not a concern,

also, 12" to non openable windows is recommended to prevent condensation.