Dirt and bugs between splits

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack22

Mar 10, 2011
Warren County, New Jersey
I was moving some of my wood stacks over the weekend and I noticed allot of dirt and bugs between my splits. I have my wood loose stacked in single rows off the ground. When I stacked the wood it was clean of dirt and dry. There seems to be some damp spots in the stacks that now have a small layer of dirt with bugs. Does this happen to anybody? Should I be concerned? I am thinking maybe I should restack ware this problem is occurring in fear that my wood will rot over the long term. Any thoughts? Thanks

-Luke

I get the same thing in my stacks. I keep wondering if I stacked dirty wood, but I dont think so. This is one of the reasons I am not more annoyed when a stack collapses - restacking gives me a chance to knock off the dirt and bark. Aside from the potential mess in the house (which I can deal with) I worry that this stuff will hold moisture on the wood.

No need to worry. If any moisture, it's just surface moisture, not internal wood core moisture. When I pull wood from my stacks to load into my weekly supply rack, I just slap two splits together before throwing into the wheel barrel. Any dirt, dust, mice crap or bugs will fall off by doing this.

I got alot of that this season too, mostly due to the rain. I had some powder post beetle dust in the mix and when wet and then dry - it was like mortar between the splits. Just knock the splits together.

I found grass clippings, leafs, worms etc...

MDfireguy said:
Was your wood top covered? If not, it should reduce it dramatically.
No my wood was not covered at all.

Thanks for the replies. I am glad I am not the only one. It was a really rainy summer and I figured that did not help the situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.