Dirty glass

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hamps64

Oct 21, 2008
orange county ny
Hi

It's been awhile since I've asked a question...so here it goes I have a Kozi baywin pellet stove with a glass saver but the glass after one bag is turning brown and has to be cleaned all the time. I have a fresh air kit already been using the same pellets Clean Air, had it cleaned so any other suggestions?

Does anyone know is there something that you can put on the glass like spray that repels the soot/ash so I don't have to clean the glass all the time?

Most stoves will dirty the glass much faster when run on "low' during these warmer temps... is your stove getting a brown, sticky goo on the glass?

hamps64 said:
Hi

It's been awhile since I've asked a question...so here it goes I have a Kozi baywin pellet stove with a glass saver but the glass after one bag is turning brown and has to be cleaned all the time. I have a fresh air kit already been using the same pellets Clean Air, had it cleaned so any other suggestions?

Hamps, I'm not familiar with the "glass saver"....what is it? The fresh air kit will help the burn, but dirty glass usually comes from the brand pellets or low temp burning, or a combo of both.

Clean Air pellets? Never heard of those...where did you get them? When you say you "had it cleaned", do you mean the glass, the firebox, or the whole stove (firebox, ash pan, combustion blower, pipe, ash traps, etc, etc)?

Oh, and as for your other post, Rutland makes a glass cleaner that has Silicone in it....it's supposed to make the glass stay cleaner longer, but I can't say if it really works...never used it.

Agree with above posts that it can be a combination of low burning and or lousy pellets.

One more suggestion is, does your door and gasket have a good seal. My door was replaced as a result of a recall, and since the new door and tighter gasket my glass has been much cleaner. I also burned mostly NEWP last year and am now burning Lignetics, which I know is also helping.

The seal is good and the pellets are supposed to be very good, I used them near the end of the season and didn't have a problem...I haven't found many types of pellets around where I live.....so I order on-line....This weekend I will try the Rutlands and see if that makes a difference ..... I let you know

I had a KOZI baywin back when i lived in Northwestern Ontario... I couldn't keep the glass clean on that thing to save my life... OAK or not...tried it both. I actually got more heat out of the stove when the OAK wasn't hooked up. Could be the lakewood industries pellets I was burning too..

Well I have a modular home and I need the OAK the heat is good for the downstairs, I have 2 zone oil heat so I use the oil heat upstairs to take the chill out I also have propane fireplace

Status
Not open for further replies.