Dirty Glass

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

drekick1

Jan 10, 2010
Long Island
I just did a complete cleaning, leaf blower and everything. I fired it back up, and the glass is dirty in a few hours. It wipes right off. I am running it on low because of temps. Is this normal or do you think it could be a draft issue? The stove is a Lopi Leyden using Barefoots. The heat is great and seems to running fine besides the dirty glass.
Thanks

Dirty like the whole glass is covered, or dirty like just the top area of the glass?

Sounds exactly what I have experienced with our Lopi Leyden.

The Barefoots are top quality pellets, burn great, give lots of heat, but I do get more of a reddish brown buildup with the hardwood pellets than with softwood pellets.

Softwood gives more of a grayish buildup that vacuums off easier.

Just to test, try a few bags of Okanagans to compare.

Ranger

I agree with Ranger. I have adjusted my air wash system a couple times now with no significant results. It either doesn't really work or the dirty glass issue is based more on pellet type and low/high burn?
Mike -

P.s. Leyden owners, FYI, I noticed the oil ports for the distribution blower are pointing down on mine (two little yellow caps). I originally didn't think it had oil ports as they are not visible. I plan to rotate the motor in the blower housing at year end cleaning so they are point up.

Low burn will skunk up the glass real quick.

My Prodigy running shells on low will allow the fire to die way down then a poof of smoke and it flashes back to life.

The glass gets dirty at the bottom to mid section on mine. The air wash is a lovely concept but on l.ow the amount of air being drawn in is much lower.

The Whitfield sucks air in over the top of the glass. It is supposed to flow down across the glass and keep the deposits from touching BUTTTTTTT

The Quads tend to stay cleaner longer as the air wash is forced from the combustion blower up and across the glass through vents in the front bottom of the stove.

Every manufacture has a tiny bit different twist on things so ???????/

Clean it more often if you want a nice picture .

Snowy

I did a complete top-to-bottom cleaning of my 10-cpm Sunday, including using the lint eater on the entire exhaust pipe. Poured in some fresh ProPellets I got in a pellet swap with Jtakeman, and within 24 hours on heat setting 1 or 2, the top of the glass is almost black.......nothing much you can do on low burns.

These last two bags of NEWP from the schyuler plant (born on 1/15/09) have been killing me. 3/4's of the glass is black, floppy flame , with a white residue in burn pot upon cool down. The pellets actually feel kinda of soft and do not snap when I break them. My guess is they are damp maybe. I know there was a post a bit ago about this plants first few batches of pellets produced varying results. Cleaned it two weeks ago & gave it a quick interior brushing burn pot cleaning yesterday, Today I got a 3 blink code so I need to unplug, pull the esp & clean it tomorrow. This is me last 15 bags too. Any ideas?

Thanks
Marty
Harman P68

Low burns are just what they are, a low burn with less overall heat in the fire chamber and with low heat comes more crap on the window.

My Prodigy skunks up the window in a little over a day on low and leaves sort of a brown residue. Takes a little touch with a wet SOS pad to clean off the crap and then wipe with a wet paper towel and then a dry one.

Just part of life me thinks.

On number two setting the fire is far more active and much hotter and it will take longer to skunk up the glass.

More of a soft dusting of ash rather than nasty stuff though.

Snowy

Snowy Rivers said:
Low burns are just what they are, a low burn with less overall heat in the fire chamber and with low heat comes more crap on the window.

My Prodigy skunks up the window in a little over a day on low and leaves sort of a brown residue. Takes a little touch with a wet SOS pad to clean off the crap and then wipe with a wet paper towel and then a dry one.

Just part of life me thinks.

On number two setting the fire is far more active and much hotter and it will take longer to skunk up the glass.

More of a soft dusting of ash rather than nasty stuff though.

Snowy

I wouldnt use an abraisive like an SOS pad on the glass unless it iis the non metalic variety. That's an absolute no no on any stove glass. Eventually you wiill find your glass has fine scratches. If a paper towerl and pretty well any glass cleaner won't do the trick then some of the fine ash from your burn pot on a paper towell will work just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.