Dirty Hand Tools (DHT) 22 ton logsplitter problems

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I really thought there would be more replies here. I'm in the market for a splitter, possibly this one. I've read a lot of good reviews, any other owners?

I own the DHT-22 ton as well. Maintenance is minimal but like someone else said, she does rattle quite a bit the pins and such, This is especially so in vertical mode. I got it for a g from lowes just ask them to price match something from amazon they'd be idiots not to.

I hadn't used it in a few months and she wouldn't fire up for me lately. Currently delaying unnecessary trip to shop and trying to fix myself. Likely fuel issue.

Andrew

Going on 8 years of trouble free use by my next door neighbor (many hundreds of cords) without a hiccup. My personal use of mine for 30 cords or so now. Also it is the consensus of many many owners here on this forum. Huskee is County Line and a few others all made by Speeco. I am talking about the Speeco 22 ton only. I have heard of a few problems with some of their other models not the 22. Even the salesman at TSC steered me to the 22 when I was trying to spend twice as much for a bigger splitter.

Last edited:
I have the dht22 ton and had a problem that looked like the one in your video. My problem was in the shaft where the engine connects to the pump they have a rubber piece that sits in a cradle I'm guessing to lessen vibration. On mine one side of the cradle was not tight and it chewed the crap out of the rubber. Dht was very good about it and next day aired me a new cradle and rubber with no charge I put some lock tight on the set screw and have had no problems since. This happened in the first 2hrs of use.

We got one this spring by stacking deals for $800 and change. First one the engine locked solid on the 3rd pull trying to start it. Back to Lowes it went. Second one, we asked for it still in the crate so we could put it together. Got it home, put it together, everything worked properly. I've only used it about 6 hours so far, but in the next couple of weeks that'll grow a BUNCH as I've got 3 cords sitting in the driveway to split.

After using it for a while, I have two things I wish were different:

1) The operator position is not quite as good as on the $3800 splitter I rented. Gee, imagine that. Spend 4x the money on something and they make it a little nicer :lol: On the DHT, where I'd like to stand comfortably to reach both the work area and the valve lever is right smack in the middle of the starboard side tire.
2) The cheap Kohler engines just suck. Really frustrating to start. If I had one wish for the splitter, it'd be that I could have ordered it with an optional Honda GX-series engine.

I also ordered 2 of the optional log catchers for it. The second one required drilling 2 holes but that's super easy because the steel is surprisingly soft. I strongly recommend anyone with this splitter do the same as it makes it much easier on your back when working with large rounds.

19226459451_1be8c15043_b.jpg

18600295064_354989142a_b.jpg

18602194003_c25206f046_b.jpg

I own the DHT 22T, too. Like Williaty said the kohler engine isn't that great - it is cold blooded but works once you get it going. My other splitter had a small Briggs and Stratten and I liked the nature of this engine better.

I don't know what engine is on the countryline/speeco. Although I own the DHT splitter I think the speeco model has more histroy under its belt, and is put together/thought out a little better.

You are blocking the good standing position with the dual work tables. I want to hate the kohler engine but it's been great so far. One or two pulls and it's starting. I've only put approximately 5 cords thru it though. Had a slight issue with the engine surging once but it went away.

I am going to ditch my standard work table and get the extra large one they have out now.

You are blocking the good standing position with the dual work tables. I want to hate the kohler engine but it's been great so far. One or two pulls and it's starting. I've only put approximately 5 cords thru it though. Had a slight issue with the engine surging once but it went away.

I am going to ditch my standard work table and get the extra large one they have out now.

I have the extra large work table on my DHT 27 ton. After a couple of uses it's broken and needs welded back together. Don't think I overloaded it but who knows. It has a "T" that bolts directly to the log stripper and the parallel piece of steel with the holes for the bolts pulled apart from the cross piece. Not gonna make a big deal of it cause it's a quick fix at my local welding shop. I am going to add a couple of gussets to make it stronger this time.

Seeing you guys mention the new table sent me to the website to look at it. While there, I saw the pre-order for the stroke limiter. THAT got my interest as all my rounds are bucked to 15". I could set the stroke to 17" and not have to try to catch the stupid handle to knock it out of the detent while simultaneously trying to wrangle a new round onto the table.

If you have to attach some hoses, forget teflon tape and regular pipe dope. Use thread sealant designed to withstand high temps, vibrations, and hydraulic fluids/oils.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/permatex174;-high-temperature-thread-sealant

Note that some hydraulic fittings take no thread sealant whatsoever. These hydraulic fittings (not common pipe fittings) are designed to have a metal-metal seal . That's what makes them so darn expensive! Whether to use sealant should be outlined in an owners manual or assembly manual for the splitter.

Good points. Many do not realize that 'teflon' (really PTFE) tape is a thread lubricant, NOT a thread sealer. It prevents the threads from galling and binding so you can get the two pcs together all the way, which does help seal and also help to get them apart later.

Pipe dope is a thread sealer.

I haven't used my new DHT 35T, but my dad has used it. Only a cord or so, thus far. Upon assembly and first firing, it was leaking hydraulic fluid out of a fitting on top of the valve, near the the handle. A plug on top off the assembly is sealed with a rubber o-ring. The o-ring was chewed up, and wouldn't seal. Replaced the o-ring, and it's been fine.

After letting it sit for a while, I noticed a leak from the bottom, as well. It was seeping oil from a fitting/plug on the hydro (not motor) side of the pump. Tightened that, and it appears to be working fine.

I ordered mine from Amazon, so it arrived in a crate and needed to be assembled. Last person to touch mine was in China, so not a Big Box store assembly issue.

These splitters do rattle alot. Mine sheared the lovejoy/ jaw clamp right off. They did replace everything for free. Very good customer service!!!!

Reactions: rowerwet
Status
Not open for further replies.