dirty or damaged heat exchanger tubes?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

maineah1214

Aug 6, 2013
Maine
Did a long overdue cleaning today on a Santa Fe, noticed something I'd never seen before. Is this normal? Burning okie platinums..... I assume it's dirty cause it scrapes right off but it just looks Like it's peaking....

Attachments

• IMAG1584.jpg
    IMAG1584.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 159
  • IMAG1585.jpg
    IMAG1585.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 162
Get cleaning;lol Scotch brite pad, gun cleaning brushes, whatever works to get in the small spaces....

It looks like you have a good bit of baked-on fly ash or creosote on your heat exchanger tubes. I have a 1st gen Quad Castille that has the scrapers on all the heat exchanger tubes, but I see your SF only scrapes the middle 4 tubes. Any baked on ash residue is no doubt reducing your heat exchange capability, so I would go in there when the stove is cool and vacuum and scrape as much of that stuff off as you can. I use my shop vac crack tool attachment to scrape off the baked ash that the exchanger tube scrapers don't get. I've also used a dryer lint brush or similar stiff bristled brush and a screw driver to scrape in between the tubes.

Status
Not open for further replies.